6.4 Overheats, foam in reservoir - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Overheats, foam in reservoir

My 08 6.4 overheated yesterday, and quickly cooled back down. I checked the coolant, and it was low. I added coolant, and all went well, then today I noticed it heat up again (230*). It does not get hot while idling, or regular driving, but when going up a grade, it happens. I looked in the coolant reservoir, and noticed it had a foam look to it now. I checked the engine oil, and it did not look milky or have a coolant smell. I would think head gasket, but it seems that there would be coolant in the oil, at least that is my experience with my race cars. My next guess would be the egr cooler maybe? I can smell some coolant under the hood, but not at the tailpipe. I also can't see anywhere that coolant is leaking. I have heard people mention these trucks puking coolant, but don't see where it would do that. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
They puke coolant from the degas bottle. What color is the foam and the coolant?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This is a light puking, or it can cover everything in the engine bay

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The foam is kind of off white. There is nothing that looks like the picture, the bottle is clean on the outside. Has there been a mod done on the bottle in this pic? The connector that is to the left of the hose clamp is different on my truck. The tube is not connected to anything on my truck.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Does it look like there is oil in the coolant? Does the coolant smell like fuel?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It doesn't really look milky like the oil and coolant mixture I have seen in other blown gaskets. Chalky would be a better way to describe it. It was not slick like coolant when I rubbed some between my fingers. I don't recall it smelling like fuel. I will have it back to my house later today and will give it a smell.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has been raining like crazy today, so I have not been able to look under the hood. I am thinking that what I see in the picture that is not done on my truck is the venturi tee. Is this problem sounding more EGR related or head gasket, or maybe even the radiator? I can smell coolant, just have not found the source of it yet. Also, the fan started howling right before I noticed that the coolant temp was rising.

Last edited by nso123; 01-13-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well if you are losing coolant it could be the upper or lower radiator hoses or the radiator. Those are common leak points on a 6.4. If the coolant wasnt properly maintained another thing could be the front cover is cavitated and putting coolant into your oil. Maybe you could send the oil to blackstone for an oil analysis to see if your getting anything in your oil.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I talked to a former Ford tech today, and he said that he would guess it was the egr cooler that has failed. Does that sound like the problem to anyone else?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had 5 minutes without rain today, and got to look at the degas bottle. There is no evidence of puking. The coolant does not have any odor of fuel or oil. I put Prestone in it when it ran low, so I wonder if that might be the cause of the foam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.