Lost power pulling 14,000 trailer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost power pulling 14,000 trailer

Was towing my 38 foot toy hauler last weekend and could barely maintain 60 mph on freeway. Had fuel filters changed at dealer the day prior then headed out of town to go camping. Gave truck about 1/2throttle getting on freeway. A few minutes later noticed I was having trouble maintaining 65 mph.

Gave the truck more gas, it downshifted and wouldn't get out of its own way. Put pedal to floor for aprox 10 seconds and truck never picked up speed. Already had family and toys loaded so kept on trucking for 100 miles till our camp site. No warning light or message notification on dash, temps normal, and water and oil normal level.

Camped for weekend then headed back home. Truck barely did 60 mph and gradually dropped to 55 then 50 then I got off freeway. Still no light or message displayed. Ate lunch for 1 hour giving truck a break. Then got back on freeway. As I was getting on freeway went into regen and check engine light came on. Limped truck on back roads and dropped toy hauler off. 45 min later started truck and check engine light was off. Drove truck home at 70 mph no problems. Didn't beat on it just wanted to get truck home and take to dealer.

Truck seemed like it wouldn't make boost under a load. When I floored it for 10 seconds boost was around 13 and didn't climb. When I was driving down road at 60 it was anywhere between 15-30 psi.

Truck has 6 inch lift with 35's and 3:73 gears and has not had problem pulling toy hauler before.

Any ideas what might be the cause? Could bad DPF sensor cause this and not throw codes or alert on message board? Truck had oil cooler replaced few months a ago and has towed fine since oil cooler replacement.

Thanks for reading and look forward to your input.

Last edited by Blue Turd; 01-09-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Nobody has ever lost power without a message or check engine light?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Hunter of Trolls

I lost power without a little wrench on the dash, and I never saw a check engine light until after a key cycle..

the trans wouldn't allow full power to be applied to it- almost like it flared until I backed off the skinny pedal, and I had likely twice the time to highway speeds I was accustomed to having.. I did, however, make it to 75mph w/o issue other than slow acceleration..

If I had a trailer behind me at the time, I likely would have been in the same position as you..

What was your code when the light came on?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I haven't taken to dealer yet so don't know what the code is yet. After reading your post my truck did better when I barely pressed the gas pedal. I will check fluid level on tranny and see what dealer says. Was weird I didn't get message or CE light for 100 Mike's even after I cycled key twice and stopped for fuel. Wish I knew what my EGT was.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Hunter of Trolls

my issue was a bad fuel rail pressure sensor..

this is what I learned specific to that issue: the engine reduces power, disallows functions such as cruise control, and cranks torque management way up.. you simply can't get power to the terra.. reasoning: the FRP sensor is the only sensor that tells the PCM those figures (literal pressure of fuel in the fuel rail).. w/o it, it runs on pre affixed scripts/tables for operation.. it is basically running in 'open loop'.. because the pcm lost it's primary indicator of how to trim the duty cycle of injection (how long the injectors are open), it can't be sure if it's trimming correctly- so, it instead relies on a pre-determined running condition prescribed in 'limp mode'...

I figure the same holds true for other sensors, too..

every key cycle the PCM runs a BIT (built in test) to test vital functions.. If they check out, the PCM removes any limitations to the engine/powertrain.. if something doesn't check out, it tosses a code.. if something is iffy- it stores a 'pending code', and monitors carefully.. I knew my issue was electronic, as the BIT tripped a P0192 less than a second after the key was turned.. In your situation, it sounds as if a sensor is either on it's way out, OR, the sensor is fine, and what it's there to monitor is an issue..

w/o a code, it's going to be pretty dang hard to speculate..

edited to speculate anyway, because I just can't help myself sometimes:

you stated you had the dealer change fuel filters.. did the tech who did this have any experience with diesels? was he or she aware that the system needed to be primed before launching it? Air can easily enter the system- way down deep in the system, as in past the HPFP/fuel rails deep.. it can take a decent amount of time to expel it.. if the truck was starving for fuel, it absolutely would limit power..

this is the absolute ONE time a regen isn't a bad thing imHo. asking more from the fuel supply system allows it to work harder, and likely purge the air faster..

since I like to gamble, I'm going to wager you had air in your system and are likely fine as frog hair now..

Last edited by drewactual; 01-09-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
my issue was a bad fuel rail pressure sensor..

this is what I learned specific to that issue: the engine reduces power, disallows functions such as cruise control, and cranks torque management way up.. you simply can't get power to the terra.. reasoning: the FRP sensor is the only sensor that tells the PCM those figures (literal pressure of fuel in the fuel rail).. w/o it, it runs on pre affixed scripts/tables for operation.. it is basically running in 'open loop'.. because the pcm lost it's primary indicator of how to trim the duty cycle of injection (how long the injectors are open), it can't be sure if it's trimming correctly- so, it instead relies on a pre-determined running condition prescribed in 'limp mode'...

I figure the same holds true for other sensors, too..

every key cycle the PCM runs a BIT (built in test) to test vital functions.. If they check out, the PCM removes any limitations to the engine/powertrain.. if something doesn't check out, it tosses a code.. if something is iffy- it stores a 'pending code', and monitors carefully.. I knew my issue was electronic, as the BIT tripped a P0192 less than a second after the key was turned.. In your situation, it sounds as if a sensor is either on it's way out, OR, the sensor is fine, and what it's there to monitor is an issue..

w/o a code, it's going to be pretty dang hard to speculate..

edited to speculate anyway, because I just can't help myself sometimes:

you stated you had the dealer change fuel filters.. did the tech who did this have any experience with diesels? was he or she aware that the system needed to be primed before launching it? Air can easily enter the system- way down deep in the system, as in past the HPFP/fuel rails deep.. it can take a decent amount of time to expel it.. if the truck was starving for fuel, it absolutely would limit power..

this is the absolute ONE time a regen isn't a bad thing imHo. asking more from the fuel supply system allows it to work harder, and likely purge the air faster..

since I like to gamble, I'm going to wager you had air in your system and are likely fine as frog hair now..
Wow thanks for the awesome reply. You are the man and broke it down so average Joe could comprehend. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

The diesel tech that did my oil cooler is who's name was on my paper work for changing fuel filters. Doesn't mean someone else didn't do his dirty work.

My truck ran fine before fuel filters were changed. I picked truck up day before pulling toy hauler and drove home nice keeping foot out of it. Next day loaded toy hauler then gave it about 3/4 throttle getting onto freeway merging with traffic. Few minutes after that started having problems keeping up with traffic.

I am going to try and get truck into dealer by end of week and will let you know what the code is and what they repair. Hope it's something simple. Truck still has diesel care warranty and premium care warranty so shouldn't cost me over $100.00

Oh yeah forgot to mention cruise control was working when I was having problems maintaining speed.

Thanks again for the responses
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Took truck to dealer today. Truck had a code, P040D Exhaust Gas Recirculation Temperature (EGRT) Sensor A Circuit High. Dealer replaced sensor. I told them truck was going into regen more frequently even though I finish cycle and mileage was down a little. Said this should fix the problem. Guess we will find out next week when I head to sand dunes.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Similar Conditions

Without repeating the similar towing issue, my dealer here in So Cal replaced the same sensor. Two days later the re-gen started again and fuel mileage dropped again. Just got home from dealer, they replaced the DPF assembly. Do not know about long term but the truck runs way better. For the record truck has 72K and 6 - 7 times a summer pulls a 12K lbs 35 foot boat / trailer to Havasu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.