Not Ready Emission Codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not Ready Emission Codes

Gentleman,

I am sure this has been addressed in the past but I am hoping you can help me out. I am running an 08' F-250 with DPF delete, stock exhaust, cold air and a SCT towing tune. This past Saturday I flashed the computer to reload the towing tune and ran errands for the remaining part of the day and Sunday probably put about 60 miles on it, combo of highway and city. This morning I drove to work and then straight to the mechanic to go through the emissions test for the state, this was another 66 miles all highway 70 mph. So in total I have put about 120 miles on the truck since I reloaded with the towing tune from SCT.

When I took it into the shop, at first the analyzer could not read the OBD, then we reved it up to about 2K RPM and it began reading all communications passed but I had two monitors showing a "Not Ready" condition: EGR and Catalyst. Can anybody help me out as to how I can resolve this? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Usually not readies just require more driving.

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Hunter of Trolls

Yup... Key cycles and drive time..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys have any idea as to how many key cycles and drive time?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think a dealer could give you conditions to meet the ready requirement

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Hunter of Trolls

those things don't have a pre scripted time/distance/key cycle gizmo.. from my understanding, they have a required condition that must be met completely for time/distance/key cycle..

if you cleared/reprogrammed/ pulled the battery cables, it starts fresh by dumping all environmental data- then starts logging new. the sensor data has to meet each requirement for function for a time/distance/key cycle- if just one flubs up and doesn't, it doesn't post 'sensor ready'.. if you fire it up and drive a distance not long enough for the sensor to come online (such as a heated sensor), it posts a negative contribution which basically starts the whole process over again.. it can be frustrating, no?

the general consensus to bring all sensors to a ready state is to drive at least 200 miles, in at least 50 mile intervals, and stopping (key cycle) at least three times,, this is enough for all sensors to clear/come on line and record data- which puts them in a ready status..

these dang things are too smart for their own good, huh?

fwiw- with a gasser I had, I could watch the sensors live.. it took at least four lines contributed to the environmental tables before the sensor became 'ready'.. the o2 sensor came online first, the downwind o2 second, and the catalyst third.. I could see as many as 100 miles between the cat and the sensors, but it's explainable because the computer had to have x items of data before it could even speculate whether the catalyst was functioning or not- because there isn't a catalyst sensor- that info is derived from the other two sensors and some sort of lambda calculations..

will your county pass you with a two thirds rule? meaning, will two of the three allow an inspection pass?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the detailed responses, I have put at least 360 miles on the truck since it flagged sensor not ready; therefore I went back to the auto shop to have it retested. They plugged it in the obd port and tried to take data for which they could not establish communication, just like last time. As we did last time, I revved the engine up to about 2,000 rpm but this time it still would not establish communication. Could the towing tune be doing this? Or is it funky equipment at the shop?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Guys,

So I took the truck to another shop and they simply stated that I would need to put the factory tune back on in order to establish communication. The question I have is do I need to reinstall the DPF or does SCT have a "stock" tune that can be run without the DPF?

Thanks for the help
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM

Sounds like you'll need to put it back to stock calibration and put the DPF back on. Unfortunately, that resets the drive cycle tests again and you'll need to drive it again. I find mixed city stop and go driving usually clears it the quickest over a few days and drive cycles.

Some states will physically check for emissions parts and fail if anything is missing.

Last edited by unbahlievable; 01-11-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Hunter of Trolls

Can you tell us precisely what conditions/sensors aren't clearing??

You may have a simple sensor issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.