Blower Motor Resistor??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blower Motor Resistor???

I have a theory that my Heater-AC blower motor might have a bad resistor. Could somebody confirm if this symptom is typical of a bad resistor?

First off, I have a 2008 6.4L F250 and the problem I'm encountering is that whenever I start up the vehicle the blower either works or it doesn't. Your chances are 50/50 most of the time. If it failed to start blowing air initially,often after the truck has been running a good 30 minutes or so, it will kick on all of a sudden. But if I turn off the vehicle and start it again, it's back to the 50/50 cross your fingers.

Has anybody had a similar issue with the blower in the Super Duty? And if so, is it a cheap fix of replacing the blower resistor or could it be more serious?

Thanks,

Last edited by alby; 01-02-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

yes my truck started doing this. i replaced this sensor on the air box behind the glove box. eventually things got so bad with it that I only had heat or air in the highest setting
Old 01-25-2013, 06:30 PM

I know mines not a 6.4 but I had the same issue i replaced the resistor and it helped a little bit,but it still don't blow like it did new.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 PM

The resistor only controls fan speeds. If it dies, you will have your high fan setting, none of the other settings will work.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post
The resistor only controls fan speeds. If it dies, you will have your high fan setting, none of the other settings will work.

The fan blowing is all that seems to be the issue. When it randomly works, you can adjust the speed between low and high and it responds accordingly. But until it magically kicks on, all you get is just the "drip, drip" of heat coming through since nothing is actually blowing it.

I've been lazy and haven't replaced the resistor yet. Time for a visit to the local Advanced Auto store.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just started having this exact issue in my 06 6.0.. what was the final repair that fixed the problem..i have no blower unless it feels like turning itself on and same thing, when its on all speed control works..HELP!! snow on the way and dont want to plow with no heat!! haha
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin6.0Stroker View Post
i just started having this exact issue in my 06 6.0.. what was the final repair that fixed the problem..i have no blower unless it feels like turning itself on and same thing, when its on all speed control works..HELP!! snow on the way and dont want to plow with no heat!! haha

In all honesty, I've been a slacker with buying a resistor and seeing if swapping it our resolves the issue. Since I telecommute from home, I've not been subjected to a lot of cold driving days. So my issue still remains with the blower only pushing out heat at random times.

Overall, from my research, it is one of two issues. Either the resistor needs replacement ($25.00 from Advanced Auto) or the whole blower motor needs to be replaced ($$$$ from whomever).

As soon as I get my lazy butt up and order that part (along with some other stuff to do a tune up on my wife's car) I might be able to confirm/deny that resistor as the culprit.

Buy BWD Blower Motor Resistor RU1133 at Advance Auto Parts
Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 PM

When my resistor went only the 3 and 4 setting worked.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is the location of the resistor? I have similar issue with fan only blowing on high and am going after part soon. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv6.4psd View Post
What is the location of the resistor? I have similar issue with fan only blowing on high and am going after part soon. Thanks.

It is in the worst possible location that isn't access friendly.

Open your glove box and squeeze the back section of the glove box so it completely drops
down. You should now see the area behind the glove box with cabling
and such. To the right and slightly around the corner is where the resistor
is located.

The Following User Says Thank You to alby For This Useful Post:
6.4 WNY (02-23-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.