Unknown Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unknown Issue

Alright I just drove from upstate NY down to the keys in FL, the whole time it felt like the truck was floating, kinda, the front was feeling a bit loose, and the rear felt like it was floating going around corners, I mainly kept it at 75, but did get up to 80 at times. If I went above that the truck felt really unstable, felt like I was about the loose control.
* Important to note, I just put brand new tires on, and both front wheels took excessive weight to balance; Front Left: 6oz on outside, 3oz inside; Front Right: 7.5oz outside, 4.5 oz inside. Both tires they took off the wheel and rotated them 180 degrees to see if it would make a difference, it didn't.
*I also did get the front end aligned, and now it is feeling out of alignment again.
*Another note, I had to brake hard 3 times, 2 of them in heavy traffic, and it felt like the rear was moving side to side as I was standing on the brake. The other time today, I didn't think I'd stop in time, but noticed that I laid rubber down trying to stop, came within 4inches of another car at a light.

I don't know if then tires are bad, or my wheels are bent, or if something else is wrong, I'm going to try to go to a dealer in Homestead FL for service, to see if they can figure it out. I also have a problem with the ford nav unit, but that's totally separate.
Any Help is appreciated.
Thanks, and a Happy New Year to all you guys!

James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you running the nitto in your Sig? If not, what kind? What size?

The tires shouldn't be hard to balance unless they are a bad run.. or, unless they're big and were mounted by an outfit unaccustomed to mounting big tires.. Same thing with the alignment..

How much weight was on the old set? Comparable?

I'd be suspect the tires were a bad run.. also check the ball joints.. easiest way is to jack wheel up and see if there is any movement from 12 to 6 o'clock, and likewise from 3 to 9.. there should be zero..

What kind of shape are your struts in?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Running 35 12.50 20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radials, 1st got me 45k, I was hoping to get the same. They had a different guy put the tires on my truck, that's what I'm thinking is the problem. The first set never had a single problem with them, rotated every 5k. I am thinking that the ball joints could be bad, unfortunately short of taking my truck to a dealership, Im not at home so I dont have a jack at my disposal. My shocks are barely a year old, Icon 2.5 remote reservoir shocks. And pretty sure they are fine, other than missing some paint.

James.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Ok, so a little update:
Have the truck at the dealer, they've given me an early estimate of$3000+ for parts and repairs. But the service tech said he can fix enough so that I can get home without anymore problems. I know its going to be more, I also am probably going to need a new nav unit. My current one locked up on my way down and no is having trouble with the audio system. So that's another $1800 and the ESP won't cover any of it. Just wondering if I should just look into another truck. They have some trucks here, but nothing that matches perfectly.
I don't know.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

whats wrong for that much if recently all you had were tires done when it started
mine did something similiar like the whole truck felt like it swayed a bit left to right and the faster you went the worse it was
all it endded up being was the guy put way to much air in the tires let alot out and all ok
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM

What are they doing for $3000? It seems weird it started after you put new tires on.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Ball joints will 'walk in' with the tires they are running.. when you swap those tires, they new ones wont ride on the same groove in the joints, which makes them fail quick like.. same with tie rods and pretty much every thing else..

Did the old tires have uneven wear patterns? Did the tech who performed your alignment do it right? Tighten everything to torque specs?

Unless those tires are jacked up and out of kilter, it sounds like an idiot did the mounting, balancing and alignment.. they shouldnt have required all that weight unless the tires were effed or the tech an effer.. I feel for ya bro..

One more thing: don't feel married to the factory nav system.. go online to crutchfield or some other radio head shop and see what's available.. find one that fits using their search match thingy, and with all the features you want, write the specs down, then amazon that bad bear.. I once put in a dressed out jvc that detailed for over a grand for a cost of around $300 and another $50 or so in adapters, and maybe an hour of my time to install it.. just sayin..
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Actually the bill came to $6000: $3200 for parts and $2800 for labor, quoted 20 hrs worth of labor. I don't have the list in front of me, but the most expensive was 2 new hubs, and he said the tie rods are shot, and a lot of the components in the front end are rusted heavily. They couldn't balance the front tires, said that the tires must be bad from the factory, said 7.5 oz is way too much. I drove the truck back to my hotel, and I swear it seems like it is swaying more. The tech said I should be ok to drive back home, but I don't know, 1500 miles is a long way.

James.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
Ball joints will 'walk in' with the tires they are running.. when you swap those tires, they new ones wont ride on the same groove in the joints, which makes them fail quick like.. same with tie rods and pretty much every thing else..

Did the old tires have uneven wear patterns? Did the tech who performed your alignment do it right? Tighten everything to torque specs?

Unless those tires are jacked up and out of kilter, it sounds like an idiot did the mounting, balancing and alignment.. they shouldnt have required all that weight unless the tires were effed or the tech an effer.. I feel for ya bro..

One more thing: don't feel married to the factory nav system.. go online to crutchfield or some other radio head shop and see what's available.. find one that fits using their search match thingy, and with all the features you want, write the specs down, then amazon that bad bear.. I once put in a dressed out jvc that detailed for over a grand for a cost of around $300 and another $50 or so in adapters, and maybe an hour of my time to install it.. just sayin..
I am pretty positive the guy who mounted and balanced the tires did a poor job, took him 4 hrs to do the job. However the guy who did the alignment, has done it before and is pretty knowledgeable, so I'm confident with the job he did.

The previous set of tires were the same size same brand, I got 45k out of them, that's why I stayed the same, and they wore even, of course I had an alignment done probably twice, but rotated every 5k. I'm thinking that maybe I just got a bad batch.

In terms of the H/U, I know I don't have to stay with ford's unit, but I do like the voice commands and sync. Also I like the Doppler radar system with the travel link; even with all the problems with the voice recognition system that I've had, I probably will still stay with it, besides, MY parts dept said they can get a new unit for $800, which is a lot less than the $1800 I thought it'd be. But still got to think if spending all this money on my 2010 is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.