Any ideas on why a truck would not crank and now will with no codes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Error 404: Page Not Found

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any ideas on why a truck would not crank and now will with no codes?

As the title states, I was driving my truck today and parked it at about 2:00pm. Went out at 6:45pm to head out for the evening loaded the baby into the car seat and went to start the beast and got nothing! Lights didn't dim, no noises came from the engine bay (Other than the sound of the glow plugs and fuel pump), just nothing! Dang thing wouldn't crank! I turned the key and nothing happened. I tried about 5 times, hit the dash daq and it read 0 codes. We were running late by now so we jumped in the wife's car and took off. All night I went over in my mind what it could be. Got home at about 9:45pm and went outside to look at it. I turned the ignition to the acc position, checked for codes, and then to run, and checked for codes. Nothing both times. So for kicks I turned the key to start... BOOM, started right up! NO ISSUES! WTF?!?! I took it out around the block a few times, brought it home, turned it off and on about 15 times in the driveway with not a single issue. Now I am not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth with it working fine, but any ideas on what it could be so it doesn't happen again? Spartan Tuned and DPF deleted, but nothing else done. Running the 210 Tow tune, nothing crazy, never had a light or warning come on, and everything is fine now. Really stumped on this one. Thanks for looking.

PS I found one thread similar to my issue, talking about the anti theft system. I dont know or remember I should say, if it was flashing or not.

Last edited by SWhetsel; 12-28-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if I unplug my mini maxx while the truck is running, it won't fire up until I plug it back in. You might have a communication problem with your dash daq
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM

Starter solenoid sticking? Ignition box going bad? Next time it happens take a screw driven and jump the solenoid and I bet it will crank right up. I don't think a tune would have anything at all to do with this.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-29-2012, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the ideas fella's. I was going to go out and tap the starter or check the battery voltage, but seeing as everything fired right up, I didn't have too. Seeing as things dont actually fix themselves, I am sure it will happen again some day. I will make sure to check the solenoid when it does. Maybe it was just a tuner thing, or some weird odd-ball electronic glitch in the matrix.

Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:28 AM

Check out the thread with 13 in the title stuck to the top of the problems board..

I betchya this is playing a role!!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewactual View Post
Check out the thread with 13 in the title stuck to the top of the problems board..

I betchya this is playing a role!!
Well, I dont know if that was it.

I didnt change anything, or get any messages on my console, or loose power. I just parked her when I got home and , 5 hours later it wouldn't start. Left for another 4 hours and went out and it started like normal.

Either way, another tool in the tool belt if I do see that happen.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 AM

I had one come into the shop yesterday that would start fine at times then no start at others. I could turn the switch on and all the lights on the guages would come on but when you turned the key nothing. I figured out that if I pushed the shifter towards park it would turn over. I adjusted the linkage at the trans and it fixed the problem. The cable was too tight to allow the shifter to go all the way into park. This truck was not modded in any way, so I do know that a tuner had no affect on this issue with this truck. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright337 View Post
I had one come into the shop yesterday that would start fine at times then no start at others. I could turn the switch on and all the lights on the guages would come on but when you turned the key nothing. I figured out that if I pushed the shifter towards park it would turn over. I adjusted the linkage at the trans and it fixed the problem. The cable was too tight to allow the shifter to go all the way into park. This truck was not modded in any way, so I do know that a tuner had no affect on this issue with this truck. Hope this helps.
Awesome! That sounds like the issue I was having. I tried putting it into neutral and starting it, but then because I was running late just threw it back into park and left. Maybe that's what happened.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 AM

Still doing it...

It's been happening off and on about 4 times the past month, usually I can just let the plugs warm the block and then cycle the ignition from "run" to "start" about 5-10 and it starts. I know this isn't ideal, but at least it was working when the truck wouldn't do anything. However, this morning went out to the truck after she had been sitting all night in the garage let the plug light go out, turned the ignition from run to start and nothing. Cycled it close to 20 times before giving up and taking the wife's car to work.

I am going to look tonight and see what the story is. I will report back my finding but until then, any more ideas?

1. I am almost 100% positive this has nothing to do with tuning or my tuner.

2. I checked the cable like suggested that goes to the transmission, but that doesn't appear to be the issue either. Plus I tried to start it in not only park, but in neutral as well. Still a no-go.

3. I know that someone suggested jumping the solenoid, but I cant find any reference as to it's location on this truck. As far as I can tell it doesn't have one even. Older vehicles have them on the fender wall normally, but I didn't see one when I looked quickly. The only part or reference I can find is to a start "relay" in the fuse box. So maybe someone can point me where to look.

4. I am thinking it might be a bad ground issue somewhere, does anyone have advise as to where I should look first?

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

the solenoid is on the started. you may have a problem with the factory anti-theft device. if you have another set of keys try the other key
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.