Tons of problems, not sure if they're related or just bad luck. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tons of problems, not sure if they're related or just bad luck.

I bought an 08 in June that had 84,000 miles on it, and since then I've had nothing but trouble and I'm considering getting rid of it for another F250. The main reason I'm posting this is to see if anyone can see a pattern or if it's all just coincidence. The problems started 4 days after I drove it off the lot, and I haven't even put 8,000 miles on it yet.

1) Replaced Oil Cooler. 2nd time this has been replaced. The first time was 10,000 miles before I bought it.

2) Replaced Radiator. Happened 3 weeks after the oil cooler.

3) Replaced heater hoses and some sort of heater valve. This has still not fixed my heater and I can only get heat if the temp setting is under 85 and I don't turn the fan up all the way.

4) Dealership is telling me the heater core is bad and needs to go for only $1500. I've decided not to replace the heater core at this time.

Any ideas on how these could be related? I've had several coolant flushes done and there doesn't seem to be any trash in the lines, but I don't really know what else to do. Is there another component that I need to look at next before something goes out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
everything you listed is coolant related. your oil cooler is plugged, maybe your heater core also. dont know about your rad.

get yourself a coolant filter and go from there or you will be replacing everything in a couple of months.

bailey
Old 12-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any advice on brands?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Ya i would do a good flush and use some ec-1 rated coolant. I went with the diesel site coolant filter. So far so good
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently had a flush done when my heater hoses were replaced, but I'm thinking they either forgot or just didn't do it right. In my past experience when a heater core goes bad you can smell the coolant. Is the filter something that I can do in my garage?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Yes the coolant filter is an easy install. Its possible they didnt do a good flush. I wanted it done right so i did it myself. Its a long process but worth it.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
as far as coolant smell goes, you will only get that if its leaking in the cab. if its plugged, you will get less flow and no heat like you have.

bailey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.