Mileage question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mileage question

Hey Folks,

I traded my 6.0 off for an 08 F350 6.4L, great truck! 67,000 miles, and loves pulling trailer. The only problem is mileage. Has 3.73 gears, 20 inch tires, nothing special. get 11-12 normal driving, city, highway, it doesnt matter, still sucks the fuel. Get about 6-7 pulling a 32ft gooseneck weighing about 19,000lbs.

Had enough of the bad mileage and gave in and bought a DPF delete and H&S mini maxx tuner. Was hoping the mileage would jump about 5mpg, thats not the case, Im getting the exact same mileage(11.4) as i was stock. Running the easy level on the tuning, i switch between the mild, wild and hot...

Do i have another issue being I have such horrible mileage? Its winter here now, so it's 0-30 out depending on the day. 5-10 mins of warmup in the morning...

Best mileage Ive seen with this truck is 12.5, that was a 4 hour trip.

Truck does not have an exhaust kit, just DPF delete. where is the pyro located on the 6.4L? And how to you get to the Trans tuning with the mini maxx, i've looked around on it and cant seem to find it.

Thanks much, Carl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off I would check and see what firmware version is currently installed. Anything after 6.4.33 should have all the tuning options available during the download. I would then try the mild tunes and see how those work for you. I had the best mileage on the hd300 but some people have better luck on the mild. Also the easy tunes cycle the EGR system while the mild and hd300 don't. After you get the sd card updated and update the firmware on the tuner then you start the download process again and a couple minutes into the download it will ask which tranny tune you want to choose.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 PM

Ok, good deal. Thanks! We got it a lil over a week ago and updated it right away, so in theory, everything should be good, but i'll check. I put in the easy tuning because i wanna treat this truck with more respect then my old 6.0, figured i should try and make this one last, lol. I beat the crap outta my 6.0, loved the truck and engine though. oh well, atleast im a diesel mechanic so i'll do the work myself this time. I'll try the mild tuning and see what happens, which trans tune file is the better one?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:22 PM

I run the s1m. It locks the tc in 4&5. It gets a little annoying when it is locking and unlocking around the city but I use it mainly for highway driving. Also found that this tune works well with the shifting for pulling my camper. If you don't tow then I believe the s2m is the most stock feeling however I tried the s2 tunes and the tranny heated up alot faster without the 4tc lock like in the s1 tunes.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Now that I think about it, I don't believe you have an option for tranny tuning with the easy tunes. I think there is a default shift schedule it uses. When you download the mild or hd300 you should get the option for tranny tunes.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:47 PM

Ok, I'll have to play around with it some more then, I tow every weekend with it in the summer, I'll try the s1m and see how it is. I didnt give me a trans option for easy.

thanks, Carl
Old 12-25-2012, 01:19 AM

open highway i got the best mileage hd 300 with normal shift pattern ..... i was towing 15k ...... best mpg was 13.5mpgbut mines was a choatic trip i will never repeat
Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 AM

I like the S1L trans tune because it gets me the 5th gear lock at 49mph. IMO the S1M holds 4th too long (up to 54mph). I thought all the tunes cycled the EGR?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=RUFFSTUFF;. I thought all the tunes cycled the EGR?[/QUOTE]

Mild and hot do not according to the insructions.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Well I downloaded in the Mild tuning, running the 250hp tune now, no noticeable milage gains yet, maybe it doenst like the cold weather and warms ups?

Love the shifting of the s1m trans tune though! Be interesting to see how it handles with the gooseneck.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.