Coolant leak on 2008 F250 6.4 with 50K miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak on 2008 F250 6.4 with 50K miles

I just bought a 2008 F250 that's been sitting for about one year. It's been leaking coolant and I thought it's because it was sitting and things got dried out but after driving it around 600 miles it's still leaking.

I've looked under the truck and it seems pretty clear that the leak is coming from the lower radiator hose where it connects to the engine. It's a Job 3 truck with the original black single O ring hoses. The truck also has the original style degas bottle.

From what I understand, these hoses are not covered by the powertrain warranty. I also have an good extended warranty from the previous owner (via their credit union) that also doesn't cover hoses (although it does cover the radiator if that ends up leaking at some point).

However, I've heard of some people that had their hoses covered at the dealer. So, I'm trying to decide if I should go to the dealer for this work or just have my usual reliable mechanic do the job?

The truck never leaked before it sat so I'm fairly sure there isn't something more major going on but...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A little over a month ago my 2009 6.4 started leaking at the lower radiator hose. Took it to dealer and was pressure tested, told the hose was leaking and it wasn't covered under warranty. Got a quote for the repair and paid the diagnostic fee.

Did a little research as to why it took 3 hours to change a radiator hose and found out there was a TSB regarding the issue. I contacted another dealer and they seemed to be way more informed on the issue. I went in on 12/24 for them to take pictures to submit to Ford. Got a call early afternoon on 12/26 that Ford had requested additional pictures. Went in on 12/26 got the pictures taken. Spent a little over an hour at the dealership and service manager told me that Ford approved the repairs and that they want to schedule the next day if possible. Brought my truck in the next day and they ended up replacing the lower hose, upper hose, degas cap and radiator at no cost.

Talked to the tech that did the work and he said that it seems that this issue is popping up more often. They could do anything from replacing the hose to replacing hoses, radiator, degas bottle and all..

IMO it was worth the time to get all these repairs done. It worked out even better because it was at no cost to me. I even spoke to service manager at first dealer and he says that this was their fault and they will refund our diagnostic costs we paid to them.

Long story short, talk to a knowledgeable service rep and you should be able to get the repair covered. The hose itself isn't covered however the orings on the hose should be. If you do a google search you can find info on the TSB and just reference that to your dealer.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for posting your experience. It seems some people are getting this covered under warranty and others are not. Your 2009 is just under the powertrain/Diesel warranty (no ESP, etc.) right?

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No problem. I don't have the ESP. My truck has just over 61k so the 3/36 was out. They put it under the 5/100 power train warranty. This is the first warranty issue I've had with it. I bought it new in May 09. Been through some bad winters(Indiana, Minnesota/Illinois) and some miserable summers(deserts of So Cal, Kansas and Texas). I pull my 15k fifth wheel all over with it. Only thing I wish is better mileage but the trade off of having power when I need it while towing is worth it.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It sounds like the leak being due to the o-rings is key. I'm almost positive that's why mine is leaking. I can rotate the hose where it connects to the engine and get it to leak more or less. I'll get in touch with a dealership next week and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just got off the phone with the closest dealer. They told me it's only covered if the radiator is leaking and not if it's just the hose. The diagnostic fee is $120 if I decline service.

It sounds like getting this covered really depends on the dealer. I'm pretty damn sure my radiator is not leaking so I'm wondering if I should bother with the dealer or just have the hose replaced by my usual mechanic. The parts cost for the hose and coolant from my local Ford heavy truck center is only about $130 and he'll probably charge me another $100 or so for the labor.

I have this bad feeling that if I go to the dealership I'm going to end up kissing that $120 goodbye for no good reason.

Argh!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
Just got off the phone with the closest dealer. They told me it's only covered if the radiator is leaking and not if it's just the hose. The diagnostic fee is $120 if I decline service.

It sounds like getting this covered really depends on the dealer. I'm pretty damn sure my radiator is not leaking so I'm wondering if I should bother with the dealer or just have the hose replaced by my usual mechanic. The parts cost for the hose and coolant from my local Ford heavy truck center is only about $130 and he'll probably charge me another $100 or so for the labor.

I have this bad feeling that if I go to the dealership I'm going to end up kissing that $120 goodbye for no good reason.

Argh!

Well if you put new hose on and that is not the problem you still will have to put a new radiator in it so either way your going to spend the money. Myself I would spend the $120 and find out for sure where the problem is. Good luck...
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The hose is definitely the problem and I haven't found any evidence of the cooling system leaking from any other location. I'm getting it replaced today and we'll just have to see what happens after that. However, I have no reason whatsoever to suspect that my radiator is leaking.

I know there's a lot of grief with the cooling systems on these truck and it made me (and a lot of other people I suspect) paranoid. I'm trying to turn that paranoia off and just address the issue like I would any other vehicle and not let myself get carried away.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hose changed, leak gone. The whole repair cost me less than the dealer's diagnostic fee.

Don't give in to the paranoia!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i just got my 08 yesterday and noticed today its marking its territory now whenever i park it. itll leave about a 2" puddle under it of coolant. i got under it and looked up as far as i could and cannot easily tell where the leak is coming from. im thinking it might be the verticle EGR cooler but cannot tell fully (dam theres alot of stuff ont hese motors, lol).

im taking it back to the dealer wher ei bought it soon to get it fixed. i asked if all the TSB/recalls where checked out on this truck and the salesman told me they have. im hoping its simple like a radiator hose and not somthing serious like a leaking head. im not too worried abotu the EGR as i have a PTP full delete waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.