Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is it my power steering pump, something else, or just the way it is?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  04hdfatboy 
#1 ·
I have an 08 crew cab, long bed F250 with a 6" lift and 35" tires. When I'm at a stand still I'm having trouble turning the steering wheel. I have to give it a lot of muscle to turn the wheels. I got boxed into a parallel parking spot the other day and it sucked trying to back and forth my way out cause the steering wheel wouldn't move with out me forcing the wheels. Is my power steering going out or is that just the way it is having a truck this big and heavy? I realize when at a complete stand still is more stress but its a little excessive what I would imagine is normal.

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing, very hard to turn when sitting still or when moving slowly, works fine while driving. I always assumed it was my pump because on rare occasion it turns just fine.

#3 ·
I changed the fluid in mine it was pitch black and smelt extremely burnt. Since then its been much better. I know what you mean tho I've had to do 10 point turn to get out of a parking spot

#4 ·
Did you flush it or just drain and refill?

#5 ·
I used a turkey baster of all things. Took out as much as I could then refilled. Then drove for a couple days and repeated this about 4-5 times until the fluid was red and didn't smell burnt anymore

#6 ·
I have the exact same problem and have heard of many other people with the same issue so it seems pretty normal. Our power steering pumps just can't turn big *** tires on a lifted truck. I have to really give the wheel some muscle to get it to turn when I'm not moving. Now if I'm going even 5mph I can turn them just fine.

I'm sure flushing the system could defiantly help a lot. What kind of fluid is recommended? After 100k miles I'm sure it can use a good flush.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#10 ·
I used mobil 1 ATF.

#7 ·
I used Mercon v and it made a huge difference

#8 ·
I also had this problem before I put different rims/tires on it. Ill change the fluid out, I'm sure it could use it and its not like its expensive or real time consuming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.