Seriously Confused Cummins Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Seriously Confused Cummins Owner

Just registered on this site looking for info to help brother in law. First, his truck is on '08 6.4L F-250. I titled this Confused Cummins because i'm kinda clueless on the issue's he's having.

So first, his EGR or a cooler puked a few weeks ago (at least we thought). Ran rough, LOTS of white smoke / condensation coming out the tailpipe (like on a cold cold morning). But cleared up once started driving. Looking on here we figured EGR or a cooler was spent. Since he's a little low on funds, i went and purchased the H&S XRT Pro, along with EGR & cooler delete, as well as a CAT and DPF delete pipe. So, got all that installed last night.

Problem 1: truck is still giving off the misty white condensation type smoke. No real odor to it, but kinda smells like a 'normal' diesel. Not a heavy diesel or oily smell, just normal. No hint of coolant. Our first guess was HG but no oil in water and vice versa. prior to deleting last night, he was having to add coolant about every 4 - 5 months. figured loss was through egr cooler or egr itself. Now were kinda clueless on it.

Problem 2: he bought truck used. well taken care of, but did come with Edge Attitude. There's the regular Edge Insight type rectangular display unit in a pod on the dash (and isn't connected to the ODBII port below, but does come on when key put in Run, and reads ECM while truck is running), and a module under the hood that about the size of a portable hard drive. plugs into a main connecter on the left top firewall area. We disconnected that when we loaded the H&S stuff. With that Edge device unplugged, the truck would not start. Cranks and Cranks, but never starts. Plugged it in and we looked at each like wtf? It started fine. Performed those steps again to make sure we weren't seeing things. How do we gets this Edge crap off the truck completely?

Sorry for making this so long, and i do intend to search the heck out of these forums but figured i'd ask these now in hopes someone has run into this same exact problem. I consider myself above average with respect to diesel trucks, but i've only owned Cummins. I've applied some of those troubleshooting skills to his truck, but i have no clue what we should check next with respect to a PS. Any and all help, info, links, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Contact Edge with the issue. I have read this is a pretty common problem with their tuner across all brands. I don't know much about the Edge stuff, maybe see if you can make it return to stock. If not, I think you're going to have to contact them and see if they can get a fix. I know that's what some of the GM guys have had to do to get their truck running again.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.