coolant leak at rear of motor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant leak at rear of motor

I have a 2008 with mini max and 4" straight pipe. just today I noticed a puddle under the truck and its coming from the back of the motor. from what I can see its weeping from the top back and dripping down along the back of the heads then down to the block then oil pan. I've never had coolant puke out the degas but I got a faint coolant smell but that was a loose egr hose. I just got back from a 1500 mile trip with no problems and the truck is not beat on really. boost defuel is at 42 and I never go above wild. I've check my service manual and can't see any coolant related things at the rear. I don't suspect head gaskets weeping either. any ideas? sorry for any spelling I'm on my phone as I have not gotten internet back in jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is the oil cooler back their somewhere

Sent from the can!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Did you ever discover where the leak was? I noticed my '08 2WD is also leaking at rear of engine. Not much but any is too much. Last night I parked with front slightly uphill. I noticed a coolant spot under rear of engine. I could not tell where it was coming from but I did notice a drop of water hanging on some kind of shield about 2" in front of oil pan. I am already going to replace radiator due to a leak. Will delete EGR while I'm at it. Where the drop of water is located I don't think it is coming from the EGR so am doubting this will solve my new leak.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ended up tracing the coolant back up towards around the head under the intake manifold on passenger side. Looking a little further i saw a drip somewhere by the egr valve/intake elbow. It was hard to see due to it not really staining the intake too much but the leak was from the egr and ran down the intake manifold to the head then down and out the back of the motor.

I ordered the performance truck products full egr delete with elbow and while removing the coolers they were full of coolant. I have a minimaxx so the valve was turned off and i didnt notice any smoke. Good luck with your truck and if your going to do the radiator it should make it real easy to find the leak if its in the front and the egr delete should be much easier with the extra room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.