water separator light after car wash? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
water separator light after car wash?

08 f350 38k so saturday I went to the car wash and about 1/2 a mile after leaving the Drain water separator light came on, so I pulled over in a parking lot and got underneath the truck and opened it. Nothing came out (was parked level or slightly uphill with about 1/8 to 1/4 tank of fuel. I had the key off but when it was open I think i heard air bubbling or moving. Start it up no light for about 10 miles. So I went to fill it up and on the way home from the gas station the light came on. So when I got home I opened it up again and this time a decent stream of fuel came out. I didn't notice water though.

Next day after maybe 10 miles the light came back on, got where I was going and shut the truck off. then when I got back in and started it up it was off, after some driving back on again.

Is it just a coincidence that it happened after the car wash? Is something in there that would cause it not to drain anything when parked uphill or with less than a half tank?

If I bring it to the dealer with the DPF off the truck will they give me problems or should I just assume its dirty/clogged and do the repair myself? Or did the car wash mess up the sensor somehow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 AM

Something is plugging up the spout on the bottom. You should get something to poke up there and see if that helps and if not then the cap should be pulled off asap and the bowl should be cleaned out.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 AM

I did get fuel out though with the full tank. I would clean it now but with the hurricane and full tank it's gonna have to wait
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Also I need a gasket right? Should I just replace the sensor while its all apart?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZ View Post
Also I need a gasket right? Should I just replace the sensor while its all apart?
I could be wrong but I don't think it will matter if the fuel tank is full, half, quarter etc. because there should always be fuel in the so it can feed the hpfp. Also the filter kits come with gaskets so I don't know if you can get them separate.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think it will matter if the fuel tank is full, half, quarter etc. because there should always be fuel in the so it can feed the hpfp. Also the filter kits come with gaskets so I don't know if you can get them separate.
oh you mean the filter itself? I had ford put one in about 800 miles ago when it was in for the radiator, they wouldn't have cleaned it out at the same time?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonZ View Post
oh you mean the filter itself? I had ford put one in about 800 miles ago when it was in for the radiator, they wouldn't have cleaned it out at the same time?
I would think they would have. That's why I would try open the lever again and try stick a pin or something up there. If they just changed the filter then more than likely it is just something caught in the little nozzle.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check this out.

DTS Articles - Fuel Coagulation

My light wouldn't go off and I drained it several times. Did everything in the article and no issues since.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 AM

Okay this is where I get confused. Am I removing the filter and just cleaning inside or am I removing the whole unit? Also I guess the car wash was just a coincidence?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There is a cover plate on the unit that you drain the water our of that is held in by three torque screws I believe. This is where you can clean out the bowl. I replaced my sensor as well. I would go get the rebuild kit as they say you aren't supposed to reuse the gasket. If my memory serves me correctly I think I picked up both for a hundred bucks...... maybe a little less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.