death wobble problem please help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
death wobble problem please help.

ok so for the long drawn out story im sorry in advance ill make it short as possible.

i got my truck 2 weeks ago its an 08 f350 fx4 SRW cclb and the day i took it home i got this death wobble 2 times in 30 ish miles both about 50mph + and wouldnt stabilize until about 38-40 mph so i told the dealer and they had me take it in yesterday the mechanic said there is some play in the steering box and the tire pressure was at 80 psi in the front tires they are 10 ply so thats the max but they lowered the psi in the front to 60psi. so i picked it up today because if they do replace the steering box free of charge they have to order it anyway. well on the way home it did it twice again... 1st time was hitting a bump not big but a pretty rough buckle like on a bridge and the 2nd was just a rough area with a few patched and settled potholes. could that slight bit of play in the gear box be the cause of this or is it something else. they"SAY" everything else looks ok but i am checking it out tomorrow i didnt mess with it at all because the dealer was looking at it for free and didnt want any hassle saying i did it. any info /advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 05:47 PM

i now there is alot of posts on this now that i have looked but does anybodu have any updated info maybe that could help me?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Their are a ton of posts on here about death wobble and after all the research I have done I have come to one conclusion. On vehicles with solid front axles it is just the nature of the design that causes said "death wobble". All solid front axle vehicles do it. It can be made worse or come on easier due to problems in the suspension and steering system such as steering box/gear, tie rods, ball joints, bearings, stabilizer, and even tire pressure.

Personally I believe that the reason for the all to frequent "Death Wobble" in the Super Duty's is due to lack of stabilization in the front end. I know most guys will disagree with me and say that Dual Steering Stabilizers just mask other suspension problems, which they can indeed, but on a truck with a perfectly good working suspension and steering system where death wobble is still present adding dual steering stabilizers will stop it!

My old truck was a 2006 F250 4X4 6.0 stock height. I had the "death wobble" multiple times. I could easily duplicate the wobble at certain parts of the road where I drove every day. I had the truck at the dealer multiple times. They replaced the tie rod ends, adjusting sleeve, bushings, stabilizer, and some other things. I decided to put on dual steering stabilizers and the problem was no longer. I got the Top Gun Customz kit with the Blistin Stabilizer shocks, I believe it was around $200, easy to install too! And despite what people say these kits will work on stock height trucks with no clearance issues.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM

i have herd this before but i had an 04 6.0 with 112,000 on it and never once had this problem even with bad u joints and ball joints.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboy8769 View Post
i have herd this before but i had an 04 6.0 with 112,000 on it and never once had this problem even with bad u joints and ball joints.
It has something to do with the coil front suspension. The older leaf spring trucks didn't seem to have the problem.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I brought my truck into the dealership for death wobble. The tech confirmed it and said everything was normal/within spec and there was nothing he/Ford could do. Fast forward 2500 miles and my next regular maintenance interval and I'm told that the trackbar, draglink, and steering gear are toast. Replaced everything to the tune of $5000. Fighting with the dealership over who's paying for what and who's responsible for what. My truck is a 2009 with 35,000 miles on it. By no means ridden hard and put away wet. The original tech confirmed that there was some play in the trackbar to begin with but that wasn't the cause of the death wobble. Not sure where to start as the dealership never pin-pointed the original origin of the problem to a specific component. They just confirmed what I told them, that death wobble was present. Talked to the service manager and I'm just running around in circles. He said he'd look at the bill and figure out what's going on. Of course, I never heard back.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 PM

Your story sounds all too familiar. I've heard stories like that numerous times before. Ford just won't admit, for whatever reason, that their just isn't sufficient stabilization in the front end of these trucks. All they would have had to do is redesign the steering stabilizer to properly stabilize the front end and the "death wobble" would be gone. The only options this leaves us is the aftermarket. It's the sad truth. I strongly believe Ford doesn't do something about it do they can keep making money off of suspensions repairs that are completely unnecessary. Add a dual steering stabilizer as I mentioned above, of course first making sure that your stock suspension and steering system is in fact in good working order, and you'll be goo to go

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 PM

I have everything documented. The initial complaint when I brought my truck in and the tech's diagnosis saying that the trackbar has play but isn't the cause of the issue and then the report, 2500 miles later documenting all the new parts that were needed. I played the "are your mechanics factory trained/competent card?" and the service manager was not impressed. I told him, judging by what was written in the initial diagnoses, I have very suitable grounds for calling his mechanic incompetent as they claimed my truck was lifted. I have the factory FX4 package on my truck, no lift. Then, I proceed to tell him, if I had a lift, why am I running factory/OEM spec tires. Again, no comment. Seems like the ball's in my court because there's a paper trail. If the original mechanic said that the trackbar was the cause of the issue and had I replaced that, would I have gone through a steering box and draglink in this 2500 miles of excessive and violent shaking/death wobble? I'm not sure but I'm guessing it had a rather large role to play in it wearing out prematurely.

I added a Bilstein dual steering stabilizer and replaced the OEM draglink and trackbar with an OEM HD replacement from Trevor at PMF. Will probably post my own thread to see what other users think I should ask for in terms of compensation from the dealer for a "misdiagnoses"/incompetence service experience. I still have clicking coming from what I believe is the pitman arm and trackbar.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had the death wobble a few month back. As already discussed it is a hit and miss deal. Somethings work for some but not others. I firmly believe it is the track bar that is the issue. I swapped mine out to the BD diesel track bar and my death wobble is gone. That was 4 months ago and everything is still good.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Any play in any moving component in the front end can cause DW. About 90% of my DW problems on all my vehicles i've had over the years, jeeps, dodges, ford, etc have been from the track bar bushings or a bad tie rod. Always check your track bar first, even the slightest smallest amount of play will cause DW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.