Really Bad Orange Peel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Really Bad Orange Peel

I guess this isn't really a 6.4 exclusive problem, but my truck came in today and I went down to take a look.

Gorgeous.

However, it has a really bad (to me) case of "orange peeling" in the finish.

I'm a carpenter by trade, and nothing irritates me more than when people who know nothing about wood try and tell me what is acceptable in regards to expectations about a final product. So I want to make sure that I get some input into something that is clearly something that I don't know a whole lot about.

However, I have heard that this is something to look out for.

The truck is black, and it is clearly noticeable, and it also seems to be heavier in the upper portions of the truck. The sales person and sales manager tried to tell me it was normal, but the black Lincoln towncar right beside it clearly did not have the same problem, and they both had sticker prices over 60k.

What is realistic to expect when it comes to this problem, and what lengths should I go to to see that this problem is corrected?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice or input.

Joel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have noticed orange peel affect in all powerstroke trucks. I believe this is due to heavier paint coating. Not sure I would want a truck with anything else,unless it is strictly a show truck.
Over 60k for an f250? Wow...i havent seen any that high yet on the lots yet !
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 PM

my black 04 ex looks like it has fisheyes, and my neighbors 08 orangepeal. just the nature of the beast i guess
Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads5341 View Post
my black 04 ex looks like it has fisheyes, and my neighbors 08 orangepeal. just the nature of the beast i guess
yep...high solids paint.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to J-ROCK
We once wet sanded and polished half a hood and left the other half with the factory finish ( orange peal) put it on the roof of our shop for 1 year and took it down to look at the difference. The difference was totally clear, the polished smooth surface was totally faded and sun damaged, covered in all kinds of fallout while the orange peal side wasn't nearly as bad and cleaned up with a very light rub.

Orange peal breaks up and relects light and harmfull rays in a good way and shouldn't be deemed totally bad, however with in reason... if it looks that noticable to you demand recourse before taking ownership.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
ALL FACTORY FINISHES HAVE ORANGE PEEL (with few exceptions) If you know what you are looking for, you can find it on just about any vehicle!

usually only show car finishes have enough clear on them that can be buffed and sanded to a smooth, mirror-like finish. Some higher end cars have the same multiple layers of clear coat. But generally speaking -- ALL vehicles will have orange peal from the factory.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROCK View Post
We once wet sanded and polished half a hood and left the other half with the factory finish ( orange peal) put it on the roof of our shop for 1 year and took it down to look at the difference. The difference was totally clear, the polished smooth surface was totally faded and sun damaged, covered in all kinds of fallout while the orange peal side wasn't nearly as bad and cleaned up with a very light rub.

Orange peal breaks up and relects light and harmfull rays in a good way and shouldn't be deemed totally bad, however with in reason... if it looks that noticable to you demand recourse before taking ownership.
This is one of the things I was afraid of. Namely, doing more damage by trying to reduce the orange peel.

I definately don't want to create problems down the road.

The sticker price on the truck is high $59k, but I didn't actually pay that. Before the tonneau cover (1500) I think it was almost right on 50k. But after taxes etc, I think my final price was about 61.5. I live in the frozed tundra of CanatiaLand, though, so perhaps our prices are a bit higher.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue01F250 View Post
ALL FACTORY FINISHES HAVE ORANGE PEEL (with few exceptions) If you know what you are looking for, you can find it on just about any vehicle!

usually only show car finishes have enough clear on them that can be buffed and sanded to a smooth, mirror-like finish. Some higher end cars have the same multiple layers of clear coat. But generally speaking -- ALL vehicles will have orange peal from the factory.
Oh yeah, for sure.

Like I told the dealer, I wasn't bothered by the orange peel, merely by the severity of it on some locations on the truck. Some parts were worse than others, and the really bad spots looked like the truck was almost sparkling.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to J-ROCK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08250FX4 View Post
This is one of the things I was afraid of. Namely, doing more damage by trying to reduce the orange peel.

I definately don't want to create problems down the road.

The sticker price on the truck is high $59k, but I didn't actually pay that. Before the tonneau cover (1500) I think it was almost right on 50k. But after taxes etc, I think my final price was about 61.5. I live in the frozed tundra of CanatiaLand, though, so perhaps our prices are a bit higher.
The correction in dollars hasn't trickled down yet..

Orange peal is not all that bad unless you can feel it then I'd be concerned.. close your eyes and run your hands over it.
It's true almost all cars have a bit of orange peal in the finish, Porsche is one of the few companies that wet sands and polishes their products for a perfect finish.. at least they used to and that was before they days of clear coat.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Barchetta
On the truck I test drove I didn't notice the orange peel, but it wasn't the truck I was forking over $52k plus for it. So I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb.

I just got some good new from my dealer. They said my truck goes into production the week of 10/22. I will be sure to give it a thorough look over especially the paint to see if there is any orange peel. Enough peel to cause concern. I know few paint jobs are perfect. I will let you know what I find.

BTW, is your truck black? Mine is too, so lets see how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.