High deltas 20k after flush & ELC - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
High deltas 20k after flush & ELC

20k miles ago I had my radiator replaced and did a flush and refilled with cat ELC. I have had a coolant filter for the last 2-3k, but I've just noticed high deltas. I replaced my t-stats last weekend thinking one must have been hanging up, but my deltas didn't change. On the interstate I'm seeing 15 to 17 degrees deltas. The largest I've ever seen before my was 8 or 10 degrees unloaded.

My question is, could it be something other than my oil cooler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto2four View Post
20k miles ago I had my radiator replaced and did a flush and refilled with cat ELC. I have had a coolant filter for the last 2-3k, but I've just noticed high deltas. I replaced my t-stats last weekend thinking one must have been hanging up, but my deltas didn't change. On the interstate I'm seeing 15 to 17 degrees deltas. The largest I've ever seen before my was 8 or 10 degrees unloaded.

My question is, could it be something other than my oil cooler?
I was reading about guy having issues with some oil temp sensor but I can't find it. Did it just jump all of a sudden or has it been slowly working its way further apart?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
I was reading about guy having issues with some oil temp sensor but I can't find it. Did it just jump all of a sudden or has it been slowly working its way further apart?
Slowly climbed up. I towed 3 1/2 hours today and my delta stayed 19-21. Coolant was 203~ oil 223~
Old 06-23-2012, 12:21 PM

dang maybe that flush caused an oil cooler clog.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto2four View Post
Slowly climbed up. I towed 3 1/2 hours today and my delta stayed 19-21. Coolant was 203~ oil 223~
Can you check for any codes? Usually the temp sensor issue would cause the temp to show really high. If there aren't any codes then I guess it is plugged. When you did your original flush did you use the restore & restore +?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 AM

I thought if its going to clog after a flush it wouldn't have taken that long? Now I'm paranoid again! Lol
Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
Can you check for any codes? Usually the temp sensor issue would cause the temp to show really high. If there aren't any codes then I guess it is plugged. When you did your original flush did you use the restore & restore +?
Yeah, no codes. When I did the flush I just ran tap water in the degas bottle with the drain plug on the bottom of my radiator off on high idle for 30~ minutes then flushed 3x with distilled water then went in with ELC. I didn't want to flush with restore bc my deltas were fine.

Today I towed back and my temps were dead at 204 ect and 224 eot. Ect would hit 206 for 10-15 seconds after a steep hill but drop right back down with no change in eot.

I have a mod friendly dealer by my house and I've had a few conversations with one of the techs, so I'm going there tomo to talk with him and see if we can push it through warranty. I'm under warranty for another 20k, so hopefully we can get something done. I know there is an issue, I just hope ford will take care of it and not give me the usual "your 20 degree deltas are fine" crap.

Btw, how hard is it to change a 6.4 oil cooler yourself?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
I thought if its going to clog after a flush it wouldn't have taken that long? Now I'm paranoid again! Lol
I hear you. I have a coolant filter also. I love this truck and have done all the preventative maintenance (minus egr cooler delete-coming soon) and I'm still having issues.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:48 AM

If you didnt do a chemical flush i cant imagine that the flush clogged the oil cooler. When you start your truck are the ECT and EOT temps pretty close? If so i dont think its the sensor. It sounds like its your oil cooler. Its not easy to do yourself. Its a cab off repair.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
If you didnt do a chemical flush i cant imagine that the flush clogged the oil cooler. When you start your truck are the ECT and EOT temps pretty close? If so i dont think its the sensor. It sounds like its your oil cooler. Its not easy to do yourself. Its a cab off repair.
They stay dead even while warming up till 190ish, then they start to separate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.