6.4 cooling system problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.4 cooling system problem

My 6.4 is giving me these two codes:
P0528
P0480
Looks like it has to do with the cooling fan. Can anyone give me a better idea of what fix might be necessary? I can't find very much info on this. Thanks!

Sent from the mower shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bump!! Anybody??

Sent from the mower shop
Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
did you ever find out what it took to fix that? Mine just threw those two codes today too!!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it a 2008?
If so you never received the updated fan clutch or it's just bad.

These should be it:
The part number for the standard fan clutch is: 4C3Z-8A616-AA
The heavy duty "snow plow" clutch is: 4C3Z-8A616-SA

Better to call your local ford dealership for the proper numbers.
Hope this resolves your issues. Happy trucking!

P0528:
Some 2008 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.4l diesel engine may exhibit diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0528 (fan speed sensor circuit-no signal) and/or P0529 (fan speed sensor circuit-intermittent) during normal driving due to water entering into the fan clutch circuit. ACTION Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE Follow normal Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) routine. If PC/ED diagnostic subroutines do not resolve the concern, install an updated fan clutch with improved sealing features. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03 for removal and installation.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

yes mine is an 08..It's at the dealership now, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the ac system as well since my ac went out and I just had the compressor and whole a/c system replaced about 2 months ago..either way it's under warranty so we'll see what happens.. Or like you said, it could be the fan clutch. I'll update when I have some news.

I appreciate the info man!~
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 AM

Keep us posted Marshall!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
yes mine is an 08..It's at the dealership now, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the ac system as well since my ac went out and I just had the compressor and whole a/c system replaced about 2 months ago..either way it's under warranty so we'll see what happens.. Or like you said, it could be the fan clutch. I'll update when I have some news.

I appreciate the info man!~
I bet if the fan is not operating properly, then the condenser is not cooling the refrigerant enough to bring back to a liquid state. That may cause a high pressure condition in the A/C that could result in a forced leak. That or the A/C guys left a slight leak in one of the gaggle of o-rings in the system. I just rebuild the A/C on three of my vehicles, two of which had bad o-rings and one a bad pump. It's pretty easy to diagnose and repair these systems, so those A/C guys make a ton of money for fairly easy work. Must be nice!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Well I didn't get the truck to the dealership- I know my mechanic so I dropped the truck off at his house so he could drive it to the shop..well he didn't go into work that day and I needed my truck, so when I picked it up- the a/c was blowing fine, no chirping from the belt or anything like it was doing when it was blowing warm. BUT- it's still throwing the same codes. I've been searching "fan clutch" to see what I can learn, I'm not sure but it seems like there is a fan clutch sensor that could be bad? Maybe I can start there and replace that first?

My fear is that the fan clutch is bad or soemthing and times are really tough right now and I definitly don't have the cash to fix that out of pocket, but there's a chance that something on the a/c system is bad when the dealership replaced all of that, so idk!

What can I check or do myself before taking it back to the dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.