6.4 H&S tuner problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 02:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 H&S tuner problem

My buddy has an 08 f350 with the 6.4. he bought the h&s mini maxx for it and we tried tuning the truck and it loads into truck, as soon as you turn the key to start the screen freezes. tghen everytime after that as soon as it powers up the screen is frozen. if i plug it into lap top the screen works and can scroll thru all the settings no problem. he had a bully dog programmer and it did the same thing, so he was talked into buying the h&s one and did and now its doing the same thing as the bully dog. any help is appreciated. I work at a ford dealer and recently did alot of warranty work to his truck and had reprogrammed the PCM, IC, and TCM to fords latest level of calibration. My computer at work works fine with it i can communicate with all modules and pids. tuner just continues to freeze time after time at same spot. no guages or anything on it. no temp readings nothing. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 03:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have you tried to update firmware and tune schedule on the minimaxx. There is a program on h&s website for updates. All you do is download the program and insert the memory card reader with micro sd card from the minimaxx and run the program. I do not have the minimaxx but recently installed one in my uncles 08 F-450 and went perfectly. I updated the minimaxx firmware and tune schedules before it was ever hooked in to the truck though. Hope this helps! AWESOME tuner btw, if you can get it to work. If updating does not work, maybe someone else will chime in who knows more than me about them. Strange that 2 different tuners have done the same thing.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just thought of something else. Are you powering the minimaxx from the OBDII port or did you tie it in to a 12volt source that cycles on/off with the key switch. I think the instructions recommended an unused purple wire in the factory harness. Seems like there were a couple purple wires on my uncles truck but some had a different color stripe on them. I believe the solid purple is what u want. Make sure only the red wire from the minimaxx's power wire is making contact with the purple wire. There is also a Black wire in the power cable but is not used. All that is needed to the power cable is a 12volt source, no ground. I know that may seem odd to some, especially me because I am an Electrician by trade, but it must pull the ground back through the OBDII port.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There were freezing issues in old softwares. First thing's first. Update the unit!!!

If you're still having problems, try a different HDMI cable.

There shouldn't be any problems programming the truck using the OBD-II as the power source. I've done it many times
Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i didnt update it before i tried to install it orginally. after i had the issue with it freezing i unhooked and did all the updating from the website. so now it does have all the new updates. i orginally had it hooked thru the fuse box, but i changed it and hooked only the red wire to the solid purple wire, which is one of the ignition wires. we have tried different HDMI cables and still got the same result. im out of ideas!!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 AM

I would try a new OBD-II block. It's the only other link in the communication chain. If that doesn't fix it, the actual head unit is no bueno
Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Have you tried calling H&S? They are extremely helpful, over the phone they can walk you through almost anything!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:33 AM

I'm having the same issue changed cables had it tied to the purple wire,i have the new software,still freezes,a couple times it's sent the truck into limp mode were the clutch fan was running like crazy,anybody know what fuse # for the obd-2 port is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.