NEED HELP-Truck Won't Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED HELP-Truck Won't Start

Let a relative borrow my 08 Powerstroke 250 and he left the windows down and it rained one night. Next day I went to his house to pick up the truck and it won't even crank. The wires on the side panel on the drivers side by the door were all completely soaked. Maybe shorted some of these fuses? I looked up the code and it said Engine Disabled-Ford Anti-Theft Lock. Does anyone know anything about this? All electronics work and I tried jump starting it with a battery charger and also with some electrical wires and the motor would crank with the electrical wires but would not fire. I'm guess the fuel is shut off but I don't know how to turn it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I did my egr delete and installed my coolant filter ,I had the batteries disconnected ,when i went to reinstall to start it up same issue ,ANTI THEFT LOCK LIGHT came on!!! tried everything !!! The truck is in disable and doesnt reconize the key , I had to have mine towed to the dealer and 700$ later ,but they said it was a cut wire ? I had cut no wires , I believe they ended up reprogramming the key or code and no problems since , But Its one of those you have your hands tied , and fords got the key , Good Luck ? let us know the out come
Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Detach, both negative terminals for 5-10 minutes. This should get you going, if not, try the spare key. From my understanding, there is a small fuse coming off of a smaller gauge wire on the passenger side. Disconnect this for a bit if the battery disconnect doesn't work. Are you throwing P0381 also. This just happened to me 20 mins ago. Getting that code and the stereo is acting funny, but my truck started and got me home. It rained here today and I think something got wet. It also pulled up on the dash that I had a Trailer brake module fault, I blew out the connectors. GL
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 AM

Check out my symptoms in my thread.

Trailer brake module/ code PO381/ an PATS
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tried a lot of things last night and none seemed to work. I unplugged all the batteries for 15 mins and then hooked them back up. My Mini Maxx is throwing two codes out (not for sure what the numbers are) but one of them is "Starter Circuit" and the other one is "Ford Motor Disabled For Security Purposes" I tried jump starting the truck and nothing happened. I also truck jump starting it with the postive side of the battery and the male end black connector thats behind the washer fluid and that make the truck crank but still would not start. I'm guess the security system shuts the fuel off and thats why the truck won't start. I talked to H&S Performance on the phone yesterday for several hours and they told me that it wasnt the Mini Maxx causing this but it had to be wet fuses or something with the truck. They suggested I take it into a Ford dealership to have it looked out. I don't want to do this because I only have 60k on my truck and they will void warranty if I take it in and they will just blame everything on the Mini Maxx

Any other suggestions before calling Ford?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you suspect it's the fuel cut off, although I don't know why it would have activated just by getting wet, unless something shorted out, here's where it is.

This switch is located on the passenger’s side of the instrument panel. Open the front passenger door and remove the small access panel. The switch has a red button on top of it.

To reset the switch:
1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Check the fuel system for leaks.
3. If no leaks are apparent, reset the switch by pushing in on the reset
button.
4. Turn the ignition on.
5. Wait a few seconds and return the key to off.
6. Make another check for leaks.

You can probably skip steps 2 and 6.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:26 AM

I also think it is wet fuses. In my situation, it has been raining all week and I blew Fuse #44 trailer battery charge relay and changed Relay #56 trailer tow battery charge just in case. Did you check all of the fuses? Get some compressed air in there and blow out the distribution box and the hitch harness.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 AM

OK. I have the same problem, although not due to wetness. Truck currently getting a time out - both negative cables on batts disconnected.

I changed out blower motor resistor and tested with truck running. It wasn't the blower motor resistor

So I went back in and looked at the harness and unplugged a couple of connectors - the one attached to the resistor and the next one down the harness looking for bad connections. Everything looked fine. Reconnected everything and now my theft light is blinkin and it won't start.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler2 View Post
OK. I have the same problem, although not due to wetness. Truck currently getting a time out - both negative cables on batts disconnected.

I changed out blower motor resistor and tested with truck running. It wasn't the blower motor resistor

So I went back in and looked at the harness and unplugged a couple of connectors - the one attached to the resistor and the next one down the harness looking for bad connections. Everything looked fine. Reconnected everything and now my theft light is blinkin and it won't start.
Did you check the things that I posted?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM

It is now running.

Yes, I followed all your suggestions.

Disconnected negative terminals for 45 minutes. No go.

Just left it for an hour. No go.

Checked every fuse. I mean every fuse. None bad (although I did drop two down into the sill (that fuse box is a *****). No go.

Tried all sorts of combinations of key cycling to no avail.

Finally re-jiggled all the connections I touched today for like the 12th time. Started right up......

I don't like mysteries......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.