great radiator leaking again - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down great... radiator leaking again

replaced last august at the tune of 1400 bucks. technically its out of warranty cause im over the 12k mile mark. this really really really really bites!

Last edited by Capt dong; 05-07-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 AM

Maybe look at performance radiator or maybe detroit radiator. I dont think moshimoto makes one yet. If you get an aftermarket radiator it should be the last time you have to buy one.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

there is a recall on the rads

Last edited by fast; 05-09-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast View Post
there is a recall on the rads
can you show me where this recall is?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

TSB
09-23-1 6.4L DIESEL ENGINES - REPEAT RADIATOR LEAK - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/14/2009

Publication Date: November 9, 2009

FORD: 2008-2010 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2008-2010 F-Super Duty vehicles built on or before 9/14/2009 and equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit repeat radiator leaks due to malfunctioning (hyper-extended) high temperature thermostats.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the coolant leak is from the radiator, refer to pin point test (PPT) A found in the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
Verify the venturi tee is installed.
If installed, confirm it is installed correctly (note - orientation direction on part). Refer to applicable Field Service Action (FSA) for vehicle built on or before 5/15/2008.
If not installed, install per applicable FSA on vehicles built on or before 5/15/2008.
Prepare the vehicle for a test drive.
If the coolant leak at the radiator is large enough to cause an unsafe test drive or potential for engine/vehicle damage, proceed to Step 5.
Before driving the vehicle confirm the coolant level is at minimum level or above in the degas bottle. If required add 50/50 mix to coolant bottle.
Test Drive - use an Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) or equivalent and monitor engine oil temperature (EOT) and engine coolant temperature (ECT) parameter identifiers (PIDS).
With EOT at 195 F (91 C) drive on the highway unloaded at 55-70 MPH (89-113 Km/h) constant speed to observe EOT and ECT temp.
Test results/next steps:
If EOT is less than 8 F (4.4 C) higher than ECT, and the coolant temp fluctuates roughly 5 F (2.7 C) - the thermostats are okay and do not need to be replaced. Replace just the radiator. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03 (Engine Cooling).
If EOT exceeds ECT by greater than 8 F (4.4 C) or if the ECT readings fluctuate 10 to 12 F (5.55-6.66 C) roughly every 30 seconds - replace both thermostats and radiator. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03 (Engine Cooling).
If vehicle is not drivable and the coolant leak is found to be from the radiator, remove and replace both thermostats and radiator. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03 for both radiator and thermostat removal procedure and approved cooling system draining, filling and bleeding procedures.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8C3Z-8575-D Thermostat Assembly
8C3Z-8009-B Radiator Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092301A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Pressure Test Cooling System, Road Test, Monitor PIDS, Replace The Radiator (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.0 Hrs.
092301B 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Pressure Test Cooling System, Road Test, Monitor PIDS, Replace The Radiator, And Thermostats (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8575 42
Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

there is the proof. my truck is in the shop today. first time for radiator. dealer is trying to rip me off. good thing for THOUSANDS of previous radiator issues. I noticed my issue a few weeks ago driving from Illinois to Pennsylvania. My ECT's were fluxuating by 7-10 degrees at night in cool weather not warm. While EGT's and EDT's were about average. Dealer is now trying to say there is no recall and it needs a new radiator, upper and lower hoses. My father has the same year truck with about 115k on it he just had the issue 2 months ago. Came back to a bad thermostat. Thermostat was sticking causing it to overheat and crack around the outside crimps of the radiator. Mine is leaking on the lower left driver side corner. "Very common"... Get them to check the thermostat. The only way I know to do it is to throw it in hot bucket of water and see..... My dealer said "ya we checked the thermostat" i rode to the dealership and the truck was barely parked inside the garage let alone any intensive labor. 730 AM tomorrow it's on.!!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What ended up happening with your radiator.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had to pay 1898 for radiator, hoses and a new serp belt.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 PM

i mite be wrong about the leak.

sequence of events:

smell coolant
curse ford
curse ford
open hood noticed coolant level lower than "normal"
curse ford
call ford truck shop for repair on radiator barely out of warranty
denied, suggest to call ford customer service
cursed ford
call ford cs. denied
cursed ford
asked for supervisor. conversed. she implied they mite be able to help me out.
less cursing of ford
call truck shop to set up an apptmnt.
contemplated if i really wanted another ford radiator and having to "de-mod" the truck.
said eff it and cursed ford
drove for weeks smelling coolant and cursing ford
now i dont smell as much if at all and coolant not any lower
i think its possible that after installing the venturi tee that some of the coolant needed to bleed out somewhere and level off at a lower point-I HOPE.
temps are in good range. gonna keep an eye on everything and eventually pressure test. if the radiator is baf gonna go with another brand.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 PM

screwed up system i know, but to put that tsb simply:
if your truck is under 3/36 warranty still, radiator and all hoses are covered under warranty.
HOWEVER if your truck is over 3/36 than the radiator is only covered under warranty if one or both of the radiator hoses is leaking. they will make base part fault o rings on radiator hose that are causal part for radiator failing.
and it not a recall its a service bulletin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.