Warranty Deductible? and front main seal. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty Deductible? and front main seal.

So I had my truck in the shop at school today putting a few things in it for a friend and I noticed a little oil under it. I crawled under it and sure enough there was oil all over the front axle. I'm thinking its the front main or the o ring behind the oil pump. It's leaking behind the harmonic balancer. Either way its leaking quite a bit. I checked the oil and drove it back home to the dealer and told them what was going on. The service writer seemed very annoyed that I wanted to be sure they were going to cover it under the power train warranty (08/87k). He finally said it would be after looking at the truck. He also informed me that there was a $100 deductible, which I question because I would have sworn that ended with the 07 trucks. If there is going to be I might as well fix it myself because its cheaper. From my reading there seems to be mixed answers. My warranty book makes no mention of it but the one I have for an 03 6.0 does. I'm thinking about calling Ford in the morning. Just curious if any of you have any thoughts on the warranty. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

did not have a deductible for my rear main and cam seals under warranty. i hate how we are at the mercy of the service depts whim.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 PM

No deductible on any factory warranty, only on extended plans.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Well Just got the truck back today. I took it in Friday and the tech became "ill" so I had to pick it up. I called Ford and they called the dealer and said there would be no deductible. I picked the truck up and was charged the $100. I argued and even talked to the guy the rep from Ford talked to and he said well call Ford because my computer says different. Its not so much the money is the principle that I paid them to fix something when they said I wouldn't have to. I'm going to call Ford in the morning.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 PM

You didn't say the mileage. If you meant the '08/87k, factory warranty if 3 year/36k, whichever comes first. If you have an extended warranty, they all come with a deductible unless you pay for the higher $ no deductible warranty. If the warranty was transferred with the truck if you bought it used then it would've have said $100 deductible on the paperwork. Also, if the repair was under $100, which I guarantee it wasn't under $100, then they would have charged you the cost, not the deductible. I used to work at a dealership. The problem isn't service, it's the salesman who don't inform the buyer and the buyer who doesn't know enough to ask the right questions. Not saying you as a buyer is wrong. That was a problem the whole time I was there. They sell an extended warranty but they don't explain it enough. It's gotten to the point where it's buyer beware. The service department has for years complained that the salesman will say anything to upsell. Always, always go to the service department after buying a warranty and ask the service writers to explain it. You'd be surprised how many people have no idea what their warranty covers. I have an '02 with an extended warranty, $100 deductible. I paid $1400 for the warranty, first repair was $3700. It cost me $107.50. I don't know of ant repair on a diesel that is less than a $100. Their labor rate is $65/hour.

Wishin I was fishin.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 PM

That's such BS. The service manager has the authority to charge you or not. They spew the same canned vomit of responses everytime "...of it's out of their hands and they just follow rules..." There should NOT be a deductible. Call Ford's 1800 customer service line and just start *****ing. If that person doesn't help you then go on to the next one.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 AM

You can call bs and ***** all you want. It is what it is. And yes, if you whine enough they will waive it and flag you as a problem customer. If you don't like the service or can't understand warranty terms, take it elsewhere. Like I said before; I used to do that job. We had guys scream up and down about how they shouldn't have to pay for anything. It's the cost of ownership. I've never had a problem with my dealer because I know what it all about. And waiving fees is the reason labor cost are high. They dont earn much of a margin after overhead. And if you are over 3/36k, they are allowed 2 warranty repairs without a deductible if 2 conditions exist. 1. You are the original owner, and 2. It has under 50k miles.

That's the way it is folks. Love it or leave it. I don't want to pay any more than the next guy but that's the cost of vehicle ownership.

Wishin I was fishin.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 PM

wishin i was fishin too. been workin on my trailer installing new bunks.

i aapreciate your input wanna be. didnt know that they charge a deductible after certain mileage or xfer. however if thats the case why even call it warranty? sounds like insurance to me. the finance manager certainly make me aware of the terms. i seriously doubt they tell anyone when theyre about to purchase a $50-60k truck.

anyways ford brought it on themselves with inferior design and parts with poor backend support. im going on my third radiator. last time i was 2k miles out of warranty. this time less than a 1k miles out in 9 months. im not looking for anything free but i will not continue to support a company thats making the same mistakes and deflecting the cost and hardship onto the owners. do you want to spend 1400 bucks on a radiator every year? should i really have to depend on an aftermarket to make my truck more reliable?

i tell you what. when i bought my f150 in 04 they got me on the lariat interior. i only wanted an xlt. then they got me for 5 bills on faulty sparkplugs. at least they corrected the problem and it was a one time deal.

100 bucks isnt gonna kill me neither will ford cease operations. however continue charging loyal owners for their faulty products and they will lose more and more business everyday. i understand this business strategy has been in place for many decades and yet they didnt need a bailout. nevertheless ill be looking at other brands for my next truck.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 AM

Here's how the warranties are supposed to work.

3/36K bumper to bumper factory warranty...no deductible.
5/100K engine and powertrain...no deductible.
100K extended warranty (optional)...items covered depend on what package you buy...$100.00 deductible.

SixFourStroker's issue is under engine and powertrain and since he is still under the 5/100K limit he should NOT have a deductible. I believe he has a case for a refund.

Last edited by cp2146; 05-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 AM

If there is a power train warranty then yes, he shouldn't have to pay a deductible. The power train warranty must be new. I haven't purchased new for some time.

I guarantee that ford does not make their own parts. They are at the mercy of vendors who make their parts elsewhere. All the recalls you've heard of over the last 10 years are from inferior-made parts from other companies that have failed on a vehicle. Ford can design and test but they cannot control a part that fails repeatedly. (6.0 warranty claims). I watch the parts I put on the vans and they come from mexico, canada, and all places in between. And I also can say that if you think ford wants to burn people over and over, the company would be long gone. Also, the dealerships are not affiliated with the company other than they sell their products. That's it. If it were company ran, the dealers out here wouldn't put a gmc dealer right next to a ford dealer. Burning customers makes for a bad business plan. Toyota learned that when they blamed American consumers for failed seatbelts and acceleration issues. I'm sorry about your radiator problems. They should have resolved it by saying, if our parts aren't working, we will use one that will. If they repair it 3 times for the same problem, it qualifies under lemon law. I hope they can resolve the issue for you.

Sorry if this seems like a rant. I need coffee.

Wishin I was fishin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.