in Park, 2100rpm! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
in Park, 2100rpm!

its unfortunate that i just bought this truck and i seem to be having a potential computer/DPF problem...(?)

truck was in regen, however when i pulled over and put it in Park, my RMP jumped to a consistent 2100. shut it down and went for a coffee; was doing the same thing 20 minutes later. I couldn't find anything particularly helpful in the manual or on the internet so i took it for a highway drive. It got out of regen after a little while and stopped with the ridiculous idle bit. Still, i'm going to take the truck to the dealership as-soon-as-possible for an oil change and to see what they have to say, its still on warranty.

Any ideas on the insane idle bit? aside from that, the regen process seemed to be relatively normal; 1K-1.1K idle, somewhat rough shifting. i believe the truck had been sitting at the lot for a couple months, perhaps 6-12(?).

really thinking about an H&S package after a Blackstone oil analysis. Warranty is up in September.

G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a similar problem. Stealership replaced the throttle plate? I think that's what it was but I'm not 100%
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM

maybe you could confirm or explain that a bit more?

i thought those were common in the 6.0 and that it was an EGR related thing? either way, i'm headed to the dealership friday so i'll know more then.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine would erratically idle. Sometimes it would be fine, others it would jump up to around 2k.

At first it would only do it at idle, but after a few weeks of going back And forth to the dealership and them telling me nothing is wrong it did it in drive at a red light, I had to kill the truck because it started revving and pushing the truck through the brakes.

When I brought it in after that I went straight to the service manager and told him what had been going on. He gave me a loaner (2011 f250 lariat) and said he would call me when it was fixed.

Two days later I get the phone call it's fixed under warranty.

Hope this helps
Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine did the same if I happened to stop while it was in regen. H&S fixed that.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 AM

Thanks Moto2four, very helpful! i'll be in at the dealership on friday to get this addressed - hopefully more to come then.

Hey Johnsabine2003, you say that an H&S unit fixed this? i'm contemplating one myself but i'm concerned that if i don't get this fixed before hand it will lead to more costly repairs down the road. any thoughts on this? where is this throttle plate located anyway? and what is the connection to cruise control?

G.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Premium Member

Check the oil see if it is overfilled... If so then you have diesel fuel in the oil. It might be sucking it up thru the CCV system. I just had one that had 33 quarts or oil/fuel in the oil pan and the engine was going run-away.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM

Oh wow, a2elvis! that is a sh*t ton of oil/fuel! i feel like my problem would be somewhat more consistent and perhaps even worsten as the oil temp went up. i'll check my oil level tonight when its good and cool + open up the intake to see if its full of oil; presumably i'll know right away if that's the problem...

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Yea this truck was a good learning experienece. It acutally went run away and hurt the cylinder head on the driver side.

We found the injectors leaking filling the crankcase up with diesel fuel.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Every time it did that with me I checked the status and it was in exhaust cleaning mode. Tuner and delete and that's no longer a problem.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.