Radiator Leak...... HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Radiator Leak...... HELP!

Leaking coolant around the driver side lower corner of the radiator. Looks to be coming from the back side of the radiator (closest to the fan). I have read several threads and everything is mix matched about this. Is this something that can be corrected if it is caught early enough? Or am I SOL and have to fork out hundreds for a new one. I am at 97,000 miles and this is the first one that has went bad. From what everyone else has been saying on the forums, I seem to be really lucky for this to be my first radiator problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am assuming you have a 08-10 yr model truck...I am on my 3rd 08 model and they all have had the radiator issue. 97,000...boy you are lucky! My first one was around 40,000. Always the same side just as yours. The radiator is covered only up to 3yr/36K but if you have a good dealer you use regularly, they may help with this one as there have been thousands of radiators replaced. I have a friend who had 3 in one year.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, it is an 08. Do you know what I am looking at as far as replacement cost? Is there anyway to patch it?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My local dealer has a labor rate of $73.20 an hour. I would figure FoMoCo will allow them 3 hours to pull and 3 hours to replace the radiator, plus coolant fee plus the actual radiator. Im thinking over a $1,000 easy. Man I would fight this to the bitter end. Ford gave us the crappiest powertrain in history(debateable with 6.0) and they need to make it right for you. Ford knows they have replaced at least 100,000 of these radiators due to the tank seperating from the radiator. It infuriates me to type this because it is a joke. A $63K vehicle and it has so many issues. They should have lifetime warranties on these vehicles. Beautiful trucks and solid from the windshield cowling to the rear but the weak link 6.4 has killed the truck. Are you the original owner?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckingranch View Post
Leaking coolant around the driver side lower corner of the radiator. Looks to be coming from the back side of the radiator (closest to the fan). I have read several threads and everything is mix matched about this. Is this something that can be corrected if it is caught early enough? Or am I SOL and have to fork out hundreds for a new one. I am at 97,000 miles and this is the first one that has went bad. From what everyone else has been saying on the forums, I seem to be really lucky for this to be my first radiator problem.
You might get lucky and take it to the dealer and they will replace it, even though you are out of warranty, I have heard of a few people getting this done free of charge because of the TSB issued on it and how many they have had to replace. It is worth a shot going to talk to a good dealer. If not I wouldnt replace it with the factory one, I cant remember who but someone has come out with an aftermarket radiator for these trucks. Good luck.

PS the driver side lower edge is the #1 place for them to start leaking so that will help you when talking to Ford.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I am going to go meet with the service manager at my local dealership and I will update once I know something. It deffinately has to be fixed soon because I have to fill the degas bottle twice a week.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it is not covered under warranty look at performance radiator
Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So heres the latest. I took my truck into ford thursday morning, and they tore into it and determined that yes indeed the radiator had to be replaced. She told me that if they got in there and saw that the thermostat was cracked, then it would all be covered under warranty. If not, then $1452.00. Anyways, the thermostats were not cracked and so I will be paying for the repairs.

Good news is, while the mechanic was in there he found that my entire egr manifold was cracked. Well warranty covered that, however I am still stuck with the radiator bill. I was very pleased because if he wouldn't have found that, and i would have drove another few thousand miles and it act up, I would have been paying a few thousand for that as well.

Also she said that she would talk to the service manager about helping me out some with the $1452. So hopefully I will get it at least under 1000.

Thanks for the advice guys...
Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Change your thermostats!!!!! I work on 24 ambulances we stopped having trouble when we did the venturi recall and changed thermostats.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have done everything ford has advised on the numerous TSBs and still replace radiators every few months. I own 11 of these and except for 6.0's (which I'm getting rid of ASAP) they are the worst thing I have ever seen. Ford now tells me that the cause of the failures is the excessive cycling of heat from the EGR and with current radiator technology they will continue to fail. I bet I've been through around 20 radiators since 2008.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.