Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tube that runs along the top of the radiator (vacuum maybe)?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  09evilturbodiesel 
#1 ·
All,
While doing some work on the truck yesterday, my buddy accidentally snapped a tube that connects to a 90* elbow right in front of the coolant reservoir, then goes under the reservoir to a pump just in front of the driver under the hood.

The tube originates (or terminates) on the passenger side at a harness attached to the radiator.

If I turn the key on with the tube broken/not connected, the pump just keeps running.

We found some surgical tubing and rigged it up to mend the broken tube. This caused the pump to start, then stop a few mins later when, I guess, enough vacuum or pressure had built up in that system.

I was wondering what this was, and is it critical to replace the whole thing if the surgical tube is working? That original tube is pretty brittle. I was shocked at how easily it broke, and then how many times it broke some more when we were trying to fix it.

Here are the pictures:

Above is a picture of the pump on the driver's side, just in front of the driver.

Above is the picture of the broken tube and where it connects in front of the coolant tank.

Above is the picture of where the tube terminates on the passenger side at the back of the radiator.

Above is the temporary fix. It seems to be working fine, but I should probably get a new stock tube and run it.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.