A beast with problems........ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A beast with problems........

Ok guys, new to the site and, well, new to diesel trucks. Bought a high mile (104800) 08 F450 to serve as a tow rig for our newly aquired 5th wheel home away from home.

We start this saga with enough regens to choke a donkey. Around town I was in regen at least 3-4 times a day. Went to the stealership, where the service writer advised me to do a DPF delete. Ok, read TONS of threads on the site, saw similar folks with similar issues, and dove into the DPF delete.

H&S Mini Maxx, DPF/DOC pipe completed. Problem solved right! no.....

So now the truck has white smoke that emits from the exhaust once the motor warms up. Heavier on throttle. Smells like coolant. Great, ordered the Sinister EGR delete kit. Can't hurt, the mini maxx already has the EGR turned off anyway. Guess I know why it was clogging up the DPF so much.

Interestingly enough, when I looked at the DPF closer, it had a replacement date written on it of 10-15-2011. Now I'm wondering if the previous owner had it worked on under warranty and they failed to diagnose the real problem and just threw a new DPF on it?? Trying to get the Ford service records now. Not that it will do me any good, Ford will still deny any further warranty work.

Fingers crossed, more to come.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good Luck!!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Hate to say it...but I would almost trade the damn thing back in right away if you can.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Trading back in is not an option. Looked at the smoke in the daylight today, it's blue, not white. Going to the stealership tomorrow for the verdict. If it needs a motor, the DPF/DOC is going back on and looking for another truck. Wish I had read more about the 08 6.4 before I decided to buy one. I love Ford, but this really puts a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So the dealer called. The blue smoke is not from it burning lubricating oil, but is from overfueling from my H&S Mini Maxx. Reloaded the tune to make sure the low boost fueling was set to 0 (it was), still smoking. Request sent to H&S tech support, nothing back yet. Any idea guys?? Anyone else "overfueling" with an H&S??
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM

overfueling would be black smoke. some oem/dealers call it overfueling when you do things to bump up the hp, like a tuner which adds more fuel.

blue smoke is a sign of burning oil
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

According to H&S, not their tuner doing this. I should clarify blue, the smoke is white with a blue tint. I have never owned a diesel, so not sure what running rich looks like. Going to try video recording tomorrow. Also going to go to another diesel shop and see what they think. Dealer wants me to put it back to stock for them to try diagnosing again.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Driving the truck this morning, light white/blue smoke from exhaust. Took off from a red light and heard a loud groaning, almost like a power steering pump under load, and noted a HUGE cloud of white/blue smoke. Groan went away and so did most of the smoke, although still has enough to see under part throttle. VGT issue?? Injector sticking?? ARGHHHHHH

Last edited by BubbasBeast; 02-17-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, need some help here guys. Using my H&S, I have been watching the fuel flow numbers. If you have a H&S or comperable, can some of you guys show me your flow numbers for the following conditions.

No Power setting, (1) numbers in park with engine running, (2) trans in drive, foot on brake, (3) steady state 25 mph.

I am flowing as much fuel at a red light as at 25 mph. WTF?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
too hard to say for sure, could be an injector or a turbo leaking. both will do pretty much the same damn thing.

can you pull your downpipe off at the low turbo and take a look into the housing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.