2010 6.4 smoking problem, please help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2010 6.4 smoking problem, please help!

I just bought this truck about a month ago. It is a 2010 6.4. I have been reading about the regen mode the truck does when the DPF gets dirty. However, the truck has been taking spells of smoking for about 10-30 seconds at a time, while driving. The truck does not say "drive to clean exhaust filter" while its smoking. It dosen't do this everytime you drive it. It has been blue smoke and pretty thick. Today the smoke looked a little on the lighter side. The truck has never said "drive to clean" while it was smoking. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I have an appointment Monday for the local shop to check it out. I wondering if anyone else has had this issue or has heard of it before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes My 08 does it once a week or so. There is a TSB out on it. Well for the 08's I know. I forget what the part was they replace. Its some type of cooler I believe. Its been awhile since I read about it. I havent taken mine in for it yet.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You guys talking about TSB 08-25-1? Bad Charge air Cooler.

Mine did it today in bad fog and humid conditions. Have to take it and get the CAC checked.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is a common problem

I have read quite a few stories on the 2008-2010 models having this issue. I took mine in this week to have it fixed. They put a new charged air cooler in it and it is worse now. Seems Ford has no fix nor any care about fixing the issue. I filed a complaint with the NHTSB but we know they will back Ford.

I have an attorney who specializes in class action lawsuits if anyone is interested in joining me to force Ford to either fix the problem or refund our money for the truck. Send me a message if interested.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:50 AM

I have a '08 f350 that I bought about a month ago and it seems to go into retention every couple hundred miles.I don't get white sm oke I get blue smoke which I was told is normal Im just waiting for the D.O.T. to pull me over when it happens.I don't understand how Ford got away with this issue.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back from thr darkside View Post
I have a '08 f350 that I bought about a month ago and it seems to go into retention every couple hundred miles.I don't get white sm oke I get blue smoke which I was told is normal Im just waiting for the D.O.T. to pull me over when it happens.I don't understand how Ford got away with this issue.
Take it somewhere else. I have the 2010 and have never seen one puff of smoke come from this tailpipe or anywhere else for that matter. This truck is a bad MoFo.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:16 PM

I'm bringing it in on Monday for a steering box,I'm deleting it as soon as it comes back hoping that clears the air so to say.

Last edited by Back from thr darkside; 02-05-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2012, 06:00 AM

It's because your truck is in passive regeneration. It doesn't say "drive to clean exhaust filter", it only flashes "cleaning exhaust filter" briefly on the screen and is easily missed. If you interrupt the passive regen cycle more than 3 times by shutting the truck off, it will go into active regen and display the first message.

Both cycles created mass amounts of smoke on my truck, dealer told me it was normal and to stop using my truck around town. I deleted and never looked back.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Smoker View Post
It's because your truck is in passive regeneration. It doesn't say "drive to clean exhaust filter", it only flashes "cleaning exhaust filter" briefly on the screen and is easily missed. If you interrupt the passive regen cycle more than 3 times by shutting the truck off, it will go into active regen and display the first message.

Both cycles created mass amounts of smoke on my truck, dealer told me it was normal and to stop using my truck around town. I deleted and never looked back.
That is the answer I was looking for thank you!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
You were told to stop using your truck around town? What do they expect you to do with it, let it sit? Lol. We buy these vehicles for many different reasons and driving it in or around town is one of them. Mine is my daily driver. I guess if it weren't meant to be driven in town they should stipulate that during the purchase process. I'll tell you though, had they told me that when buying, I'd have walked out and gone to another dealer, most likely another brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.