Drain Water Separator - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Drain Water Separator

What is the proper way to drain the water? My light came on a couple weeks ago and I drained it, but didnt drain that long. Drive home last night it came on again. The only way I could get it to drain was to turn the key to the on position. It would drain for maybe 10 seconds than stop/drip. so I would turn the key off and back on and it would do the same. Did it 15-20 times. Than i just got tired of doing it. Than coming home tonight the light came on again.. Any suggestions? Is there a way to drain it all at once?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 AM

YOU need to clean it out, I went thru that a few months back, Go to the dealer and get the kit. BEFORE you start. trust me. I did not and i didn't make it home. What i did was 1st get the kit its about $30. its got the gasket and new screws i belive than drain it. and take off the cover. Mine was so gummed up white white lookind crud. I clean it out with clean diesel, and rags etc.. put it back together with the NEW gasket and it has not come on since. I also watch where I purchase my fuel.. ITs not a hard job. didn't take me but 30 min. just take your time. and its pretty simple. You might smell like a diesel Mechanic but Hey It will only cost you the price of the kit, Or you can bring it to the dealer and let them do it form much much more, In my case it cost me $120 for the tow & $30 for the kit. Becuse i didn't listen.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:26 PM

So what is the kit called that i should ask for? I dont want to take it to them because i have a programmer, exhaust, and air intake.. Dont want to void my warranty. Does it come with instructions or what do you have to do?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:05 PM

not sure what its called, I just told them what I was doing and he knew right off. Believe me you won't be the second person to do this. I believe there was a write up on this when I did mine, do a search and see what you come up with, its not a hard job at all.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Are you talking about the fuel filter thats on the frame? as shown in this video.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 AM

THE FUEL filter does attached to the same housing I do belive. Have you gotten under your truck to check it out. I would. Get under there and see what tools you meed to accomplish this very simple project. If you can change and fuel filter you can clean out the seperator. And the sooner the better, You DO NOT want to have to change out the entire system because of a dirt and sludge. Or it will cost you more than a $30 gasket kit. I want to say its allen screws, Dunno its been a few months since i did mind, I can take some pictures of what to take off when i get home. and i can post them. But today is friday i took My 99 7.3 to work And it don't need no stickn fuel filter/water seperator clean out. From what i was told every time you change yoour oil you should at least drain the sep. Prolly good ideal to change that filter to. Because i'm getting stories of $9000 if the fuel system goes bad. And Ford may or may not warranty it. Ill look for the write up i used. and see if i can post it or direct you to it. BUt man its not hard to do write or not
Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 AM

BigAustin, keep me updated on what you find out. I'm new to the diesel world, and I am about to change my fuel filters next weekend. Im gonna drain my water separator also, but I don't know much about it yet. I need to do some research for sure. Any tips are appreciated
Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 AM

No not the filter on top. The one on the frame rail on the drivers side. If you get under ur truck you will see it. If you have drain the thing ,that housing is what needs to be cleaned out I can almost guarantee you have a white looking crude. In there that cause your sensor to keep telling u there's water in there. I'm no diesel mechanic but I can turn a wrench, and replace a gasket ,you can too. Its like 4 screws and a gasket that MUST be replaced once you take off the screw/bolts you will see just take ur time and pay attention to what is what and you will be fine.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Any idea on the part number on this? My local ford dealer parts dept are idiots and they couldn't figure what I was talking about.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 AM

Not trying to change the subject, I notice you mention you have and exhaust, programmer & intake, Tell me about those items, I'm nearing the end of my warranty, and i'm lookin into exhaust and intakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.