What does this part do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Briggskid987
What does this part do?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but my service advisor did not give me a good understanding of what this part does.

Part # is 8c3z-9275-Q "Sender"

The dealer left me the truck out to pick-up after they closed this evening but when I spoke to my advisor, he wasn't sure what the part controls.

After looking at my paperwork, the only thing I see is that they got a code P2291.

The truck is a 2010 and has 12,000 miles all stock except for a dpf back exhaust. Truck has been running fine and getting great mileage. Friday evening it was on the highway for about a 90 mile round trip and ran 100%!

Saturday morning I went out and drove the truck for about 20 minutes (about 8 miles) Shut the truck off when I arrived at my destination and it stayed off for about 15 minutes. I re-started the truck and it started fine. I put the truck into reverse and backed up about 6-10 feet before the truck shut off. My wrench light and oil light came on.

I checked the oil and all was fine. (Truck is running Rotella 5w40 and has about 5500 miles on it.) Attempted to start the engine and after 3 seconds, it didn't catch so I knew better then to keep trying.

Any help on what this part does would be great! I'm gonna go back to the dealer tomorrow if I get the chance before they close and try to talk to the tech who did the work. Thanks in advance for any input on this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
P2291 code ( Injector Control Pressure to Low)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Briggskid987
Yea, I saw that in another thread. I tried searching the part # but didn't get anywhere. Not sure if its a fuel sending unit or what??? Also curious if the low fuel pressure issue means that my injectors, and hpop have now been damaged?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
I had the same issue twice on my old 2010. the second time around it acted up but did not throw a code. So, I traded it off. after two oil leaks and two ICP issues i decided that the 6.4 wasn't reliable enough to keep paying on it. I also had just under 12000 miles, and had owned it less than 12 months. with yours being a 2010 also, id be careful..
Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

IIRC, the 6.4 doesn't have an hpop to run injectors. the 6.4's injectors aren't hydraulic. could be an IPR sensor. thats what I had replaced when i had the first injector issue

Last edited by Rob; 03-30-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 PM

Just wondering what this was. This happened to me and it ended up being air in the fuel system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.