PLEASE HELP P2291 $8500??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry PLEASE HELP P2291 $8500???

2008 6.4L 29k Miles -

Driving truck around town doing errands, truck was driving flawlessly as it has since mile 1. Went into the bank for about 15 minutes, came back out and my truck would not start. The engine cranked over but it would not fire up, No engine lights etc came on. i plugged in my edge evolution to pull the codes and P2291 - Injector Pressure to low - Engine Cranking. Ford Roadside Assistance had me towed to the nearest Ford Dealer aka LHM Ford. Service manager called me the next day and informed me there is water in my tank, he proceeded to tell me my tank needs to be dropped, my cab pulled off to replace my fuel pump, my injectors replaced etc. to the tune of $8500 not under warranty. What happened to fuel filters and water separater filters etc.

Can this really be true? I park in a heated garage nightly and it was close to 60 Degrees the day it wouldnt restart? Please give me your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradyqbeckstead View Post
2008 6.4L 29k Miles -

Driving truck around town doing errands, truck was driving flawlessly as it has since mile 1. Went into the bank for about 15 minutes, came back out and my truck would not start. The engine cranked over but it would not fire up, No engine lights etc came on. i plugged in my edge evolution to pull the codes and P2291 - Injector Pressure to low - Engine Cranking. Ford Roadside Assistance had me towed to the nearest Ford Dealer aka LHM Ford. Service manager called me the next day and informed me there is water in my tank, he proceeded to tell me my tank needs to be dropped, my cab pulled off to replace my fuel pump, my injectors replaced etc. to the tune of $8500 not under warranty. What happened to fuel filters and water separater filters etc.

Can this really be true? I park in a heated garage nightly and it was close to 60 Degrees the day it wouldnt restart? Please give me your thoughts...
Have you serviced the fuel filters as required ?

Did you drain the water trap on the fuel pump and filter that is on the frame rail under the drivers seat per requirments in the manual ?

Depending on where one purchases fuel, a location that does not sell lots or there tanks fill ports are in a low area and if location is in a area that has high humidity, all of this will attract water into the fuel.

Purchase fuel from only high pumping stations that have high quality equipment that include fuel / water separation equipment and use fuel supplements that address water in the fuel.

From what has appeared in this form I would say Ford denying warranty service with this is the norm, the water has ate up your injectors.

Trying to going back to where you purchase fuel at is very tuff even if it is the only place one ever purchased and can prove it.

Last edited by DieselFord; 03-18-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

We had a customer last week with the exact scenario. He was blown away at why the water in fuel light did not illuminate. Ford did just release an update that addresses this, and makes the diagnostics more sensitive to fault.

I really think you could get away with just a new high pressure fuel pump, and flushing the system. But then you may be taking the risk of injector problems down the road. Honestly I have a hard believing that the truck would run fine then be dead, like the flip of a switch. If there was that much water in the fuel, there should be some signs of something wrong.

Sorry to hear of the troubles, best of luck with them.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The no warranty issue for water is understandable. However the truck running perfect then not starting is what is concerning to me. Im just trying to get honest opinions with an honest explanation. Keep them coming. Thanks fopr the response.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to skipnay
I don't think warranty is treating you fairly. I think the water light should have came on. Mine as never came on once yet even though I haven't had much water in mine at all.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
wow, just like that, no start? no running concerns beforehand? I don't really know the circumstances but I can't say I've ever heard of wif causing that.

Did you ever have your filters changed or water drained prior to this?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM

File a claim with your auto insurance company, there have been posting like this before. I used to own a 08 6.4L ...I took real good care of it, alway bought fuel from the same supplier, had dealer do everything except oil changes, I also bought ext warranties. I also used Ford fuel conditioner everytime I put any fuel in that truck....I thinking your HPFP went out....they are a poor design to begin with, I had mine replaced at 117K miles. I was told by the dealer that it was poor design and was lucky to get 117K miles with it....Did they show you the bad fuel in your tank...good luck....keep us informed
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the input fellas. I was told by several people that it is most likely the HPFP failed. Its being towed to another Dealership ive spoken to, so hopefully I can get a fair and honest answer. Im not saying the dealer it has been at isnt trying to screwing me, but at that cost Im willing to try different options.
Ill keep this thread updated as I hear things.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradyqbeckstead View Post
2008 6.4L 29k Miles -

wow in the past month i have done 3 of these for this issue. all boils down to no maint.water in fuel and no filter changes. on all 3 this was issue. the way you tell is to remove no 1 and no 2 fuel lines to injectors and bleed them into coffie filter if it is gray you are done.i have also seen 2 of these that had same code and it was the wires under the high pressure pump cover rubbed through.if they tried to bleed high side and got no fuel then it is the pump.

Last edited by JUGERNAUT; 03-22-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Jugernaut - Ill be sure they check it. If its bad news then I have no choice but to pay the price. All my maint. is done by the dealership so I hope the filters would be on their checklist. Im an idiot as most of you guys can tell so I leave the maint. to the pros. In your experience is it true that Ford has had a lot of issues with the 6.4 HPFP?

Thanks for your service
Fellow Vet - 11B Infantry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.