What is this noise!? Video Included - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is this noise!? Video Included

Took it to the dealer and told them to check the belt tensioner and I told them in detail what was going on. On cold mornings it sounds like marbles rolling around when you first accelerate, then a squeel develops from 1800-2200rpm that is VERY pronounced and is getting worse by the day. If I get hard into the throttle it will not do it (see video). It's loud, and I mean.... LOUD (video doesn't do it justice). It's almost like it only does it when the engine is under load, like when it's holding a gear going up a hill or something. They told me the tensioner was fine and they found a TSB for noisey idler pulleys. I didn't think that was the issue, but whatever, that's what they wanted to change so they changed them. Drove the truck home and the sound was still there. They are telling me they can't just start replacing stuff left and right (which I understand that, but this noise is almost embarrassing pulling out at a redlight). And I KNOW if I drop it off and they drive it they will tell me "can not duplicate problem". So, anyways...... I'm starting to think that a bearing in the alternator is going bad. Anyone else have this happend?

It definately sounds like a metal on metal squeel and not a belt squeel. Dealer thinks I'm crazy, but told me to bring it back in and let them look at it. Going to drop it off tomorrow or Wednesday (if it will make it that long, lol). Anyways... check it out.... video quality is from an iPhone4

Last edited by Shadrack; 03-14-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey you posted on my "high pitched whistle" thread. That sound exactly like what mine is. Looks about like the same revs and boost and everything. My guess is that is like a cracked exhaust manifold or something along those lines. On mine it definitely sounds like it gets better once it warms up a bit. It's worse the colder it is. It goes to the shop on Monday to get it checked out. If they fix yours this week let me know what it was so I can point them in the right direction! Thanks!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM

If it was a cracked exhaust manifold wouldn't there be a fair amount of soot easily noticable? I have looked and haven't seen anything. It's definately coming from the front of the engine. Either it's an alternator dropping a bearing, the tensioner pulley losing a bearing (they didn't change it), or the fan clutch slipping something awful. It's driving me NUTS and I'm about to get rid of this thing for one of those new Ecoboost F150's, lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Oh you don't mean that... don't go trading it away! When I called the shop and explained it to him he seemed to have a pretty good idea what it might be. His guess was not a cracked manifold but it had something to do with the back of the motor. Mine sounds like it's coming from right in front of the dash. So, I don't know. It drives me nuts too. The dealership I take my stuff to has a pretty good rep for finding problems so hopefully they can. Like I said, post on here and let me know what you found out if they can fix it.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Well, I just went out and did some tests on mine. Mine does not howl at idle to under 10 pounds boost. Only above it. When a bearing is getting ready to go out it's gonna squeal constantly. My theory is that there is a crack somewhere. So when it is cold the noise is worse, and when the engine warms up and things expand a bit it seems to go away somewhat. I think that may be why when at full throttle there is no noise either. There is enough heat and enough expansion that it seals off the crack somewhere. I'm no expert but it makes sense to me.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
MattP had the same issue with his 08 and took it to Ford multiple times before they found out it was the turbos causing that exact same noise at the same RPM's. They replaced the turbos and the noise was gone. I would say you have an up pipe or turbo issue.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
MattP had the same issue with his 08 and took it to Ford multiple times before they found out it was the turbos causing that exact same noise at the same RPM's. They replaced the turbos and the noise was gone. I would say you have an up pipe or turbo issue.
Thanks so much!!! I'll be sure to tell the dealer! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 AM

I was driving it today and it went into regen. It started making some of the most gawd awful sounds. Squeeling, chirping, etc. and now has changed pitch. It sounds like almost a grinding noise or something like that during the same RPM. And it sounds like it could very well be coming from the turbos. I'm at work now, but I'm going to drop my truck off at the dealer on the way home and come back in the morning and make them go for a ride with him (does it really loud when it's cold, but now does it no matter how hot the truck is). I'm afraid metal shavings will get into the oil or something crazy like that.
I swear I want to drive this damn truck off a cliff. I hasn't made a full year yet problem free. Heck, I had one turbo (drivers side turbo) replaced at 23k miles! Errrrrrrrrrrr..........
Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronmcclure View Post
Well, I just went out and did some tests on mine. Mine does not howl at idle to under 10 pounds boost. Only above it. When a bearing is getting ready to go out it's gonna squeal constantly. My theory is that there is a crack somewhere. So when it is cold the noise is worse, and when the engine warms up and things expand a bit it seems to go away somewhat. I think that may be why when at full throttle there is no noise either. There is enough heat and enough expansion that it seals off the crack somewhere. I'm no expert but it makes sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
I was driving it today and it went into regen. It started making some of the most gawd awful sounds. Squeeling, chirping, etc. and now has changed pitch. It sounds like almost a grinding noise or something like that during the same RPM. And it sounds like it could very well be coming from the turbos. I'm at work now, but I'm going to drop my truck off at the dealer on the way home and come back in the morning and make them go for a ride with him (does it really loud when it's cold, but now does it no matter how hot the truck is). I'm afraid metal shavings will get into the oil or something crazy like that.
I swear I want to drive this damn truck off a cliff. I hasn't made a full year yet problem free. Heck, I had one turbo (drivers side turbo) replaced at 23k miles! Errrrrrrrrrrr..........

Hate to hear you guys are having issues. Post back when you get the problem diagnosed.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Dropped my truck off at the dealership yesterday evening. Hitched a ride home. Borrowed my parents vehicle to get to/from work and stopped by the dealership first thing this morning on the way to work. Asked that the diesel tech go for a ride with me so I KNOW he will hear the noise. Took him for spin, he heard it 4-5 times. He acknowledged it (cool guy, BTW) but was rather stumped to what it was. He agreed that it sounded like it was a turbo noise, but it wasn't a wore shaft noise or anything like that. I left it with them, and he immediately went back to get the senior diesel tech to take him on a drive to let him listen to it (and I went on to work). Just got off the phone with the dealership and he told me they drove it 3 times after I left and "COULD NOT DUPLICATE PROBLEM", but acknowledge that he heard the noise with me driving. He recommended that I just drive the truck until the noise is happening all the time then bring it in to get it fixed.
That's not going to happen because if I pick the truck up not fixed, I'm trading it this weekend on a new F-150 (Ecoboost?). I've had enough aggravation of dropping it off at the dealership and borrowing peoples vehicles. 6 times in two years, and the most being down for 14 days. Love that truck, heck, it was the truck that I have always wanted but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.