Banks CAC no fix for Smoke and Hesitation Rainy Weather - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banks CAC no fix for Smoke and Hesitation Rainy Weather

I just had a chance to try out the new Banks CAC as i purchased it to hopefully resolve this problem. I drove steady state for 1 hour in fairly hard rains at 60F. Great conditions for testing. Then after an hour i hammered on the throttle and unfortunately still had the issue. White smoke and truck hesitates due to water in CAC. The good news is that it didn't last as long so i'm hoping the problem is at least better. Overall i'm disappointed but am glad it seems to have improved the issue. Keep in mind i've already had the replacement CAC per the TSB. I'll drive it for a few months and post back again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to PSDfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth1 View Post
I just had a chance to try out the new Banks CAC as i purchased it to hopefully resolve this problem. I drove steady state for 1 hour in fairly hard rains at 60F. Great conditions for testing. Then after an hour i hammered on the throttle and unfortunately still had the issue. White smoke and truck hesitates due to water in CAC. The good news is that it didn't last as long so i'm hoping the problem is at least better. Overall i'm disappointed but am glad it seems to have improved the issue. Keep in mind i've already had the replacement CAC per the TSB. I'll drive it for a few months and post back again.
Have you had the newest CAC installed per TSB 11-2-2? It just came out Feb 2011 and has a brand new part number.

I got the latest CAC installed in my truck from ford about 3 weeks ago or so and my problem is gone (FINALLY!).
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDfreak View Post
Have you had the newest CAC installed per TSB 11-2-2? It just came out Feb 2011 and has a brand new part number.

I got the latest CAC installed in my truck from ford about 3 weeks ago or so and my problem is gone (FINALLY!).

This must be what your referring too.

FORD:
2008-2010 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 8-25-1 to remove the production build date, update the vehiclemodel years and Part List. ISSUE:

Some 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit significant amounts of white smoke from the exhaust pipe while driving in high humidity or rainy conditions at temperatures above 4 C (40 F). This smoke only appears during a moderate to full throttle tip-in that is performed after a period of steady state driving.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

This procedure only applies if the vehicle meets the following criteria:
Concern is described as significant amounts of white smoke from the exhaust pipe.
White smoke only occurs in high humidity or rainy conditions above 4 C (40 F).
White smoke only appears during a moderate to heavy tip-in that is performed after a period of steady state driving (approximately 20 minutes)
No diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are present.
Concern is not a result of regeneration, a cleaning exhaust filter event.
If all of the criteria above is true, then replace the charge air cooler (CAC) assembly with a new revised part per Workshop Manual, Section 303-12.
Some white smoke may still be present under severe conditions even after the new level CAC has been installed. This is considered a design characteristic of the charge air system and no repair attempts should be made. This concern does not affect the life of the engine or exhaust components.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7C3Z-6K775-C Charge Air Cooler Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of NewVehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110202A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Replace The Charge Air Cooler, Includes Time To Check For DTCs (Do Not Use With 6775A, 12650D) 0.7 Hr.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6K775 42

I've had the original, then the TSB unit but not a revised one. So are you saying you had the 1st revised CAC per the original TSB and now your on your second one for the latest TSB in February?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2008 - New CAC no fix

I don't have an aftermarket CAC but I got the new CAC from Ford under warranty a couple months ago. The new CAC did not fix my issue. In fact, the symptoms seem to be getting worse.

I've had a Chevy truck, Dodge SUV (gas), two GMC SUVs (gas), and now a Ford diesel 6.4L. I never have had a really solid vehicle yet. But this issue is downright dangerous. I envelope other cars in white smoke and I can't accelerate safely due to the serious engine stumble around 2500RPM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to skipnay
Had this numerous times. I have installed the H&S Tuner and hasn't done it since. Never got a call about a fix for that either. Would be nice to have it fixed if I ever have to go back to the DPF/Cat...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got the new CAC. No fix.

Dealer installed a new EGR valve and EGR cooler Tuesday. Not sure if that fixed it. I need the right conditions. I'll know when I pull my boat or in humid weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.