High pitched whistle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
High pitched whistle?

So when my truck runs at 2000-2500 rpm it whistles like something awful. It's really high pitched. I have an AFE stage 2 intake on it and at first I thought it was just the filter was really dirty. But, I cleaned it and it still whistles. At first it only did it when the truck was cold but not it seems to do it all the time regardless of how long the truck has been running. I just wanted to know if this was normal with the afe kit or if anybody had any idea what might be causing it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cracked exhaust manifold? Maybe cracked up pipe on back of motor?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Is it a whistle or a howl? Is it consistent with throttle pressure? Meaning if you are in the go pedal it does it, the minute u let off it gors away?

Mine has this weird howl and it progresses from low pitch to high. It is not consistent with throttle pressure and I notice it when I am pulling heavy loads up hill where my foot is int it. When I let off it's still persists.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
Someone else with the same Prolem..my truck sounds like a tea pot under light load with boost in the range of 15-20lbs. If I mash the peddle it will stop. Mind you this is with my superchip cortex on performance. The truck runs and sounds normal on the tow and stock files loaded. I am baffeled
Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonpower View Post
Someone else with the same Prolem..my truck sounds like a tea pot under light load with boost in the range of 15-20lbs. If I mash the peddle it will stop. Mind you this is with my superchip cortex on performance. The truck runs and sounds normal on the tow and stock files loaded. I am baffeled
mine doesnt have a tuner (yet) but yes it sounds like a tea pot. it goes to the shop on the 21st to have it looked at so if they get it fixed i'll let you know what it was.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 AM

I have this EXACT problem, and my truck is BONE STOCK. It's not either idler pulley or belt (dealer changed them Friday), I am starting to think it's an alternator bearing doing down. Read my thread below and see if it's not the exact same thing.

What is this noise!? Video Included
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem bout 8 months ago ... very throttle responsive ... turned out the i had two broken head studs and the head gasket was blown out ... truck was all stock.... id take that problem anyday rather than what im going through now ... Two blown turbos ... grrrr
Old 04-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
One of the turbos is probably the problem. That is what shadrack's problem ended up being.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM

I had similar symptoms earlier this year is it leaking coolant at all on the main rad hose to the engine on the drivers side? Mine puked coolant all over the front axle then leaked slowly afterwards. They told me it was one of the seals on the main rad hose right where it was leaking and it was replaced and this went away but it didn't make the noise all the time. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM

It ended up being a cracked right turbo inlet pipe. It's fixed and is howl free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.