Guys with the water in fuel light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Guys with the water in fuel light

Hello everyone, today I was due for an oil change and fuel filter change. I had the whole drain water problem about 10.000 miles ago and after numerous times draining it I was still getting the "drain water" on the dash. I went to the dealership and asked them about it and they told me that the sensor my be bad or I could try pulling it out and cleaning it with brake cleaner. So I went back home and pulled her into the shop and pulled the sensor out and sprayed it down with brake cleaner real good and got all the gunk off. I put it back in and haven't had a problem since. I have drained it about 5-6 times since then. Today while changing the fuel filters I tried to drain the one on the frame rail first and nothing came out of the drain. So I broke it all down and the pictures speak for themselves! This truck has 69,000 on it and I'm sure that this has never been done. This is maily just sludge that every fuel station has. So if you are having the whole "water in fuel" problem you may want to try this but I don't recomend this for the "normal" do it yourselfer. Its not that hard at all but once you take the cover off there are springs and things that can and will fall out. If you pay !!!!SPECEAL!!!! attention to how everything comes out then you won't have any problems. The sensor is located in the bottom next to the frame. Hope this helps someone.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Guys with the water in fuel light-truck.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Guys with the water in fuel light-photo_2.jpg   Guys with the water in fuel light-photo_3.jpg   Guys with the water in fuel light-photo_4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That sucks i get my fuel from on place and it is a card lock with big filters on the pumps + i drain mine every month about 2oz never had any water and change the filters every 10k.
2 stroker
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
be glad all that is where is was and not in your fuel system.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM

And this is why I recommend not using truck stops for fuel...
Old 02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

Truck stops pump large quantities of fuel every day, there for theres less chance of getting contaminants and it's all ways fresh. You have no chance of getting old fuel. The big trucks depend on the truck stops for clean fuel. I logged more than 2,000,000 miles and have only had a problem one truck stop. I puchased fuel down south in Oct. in the early 1990 and drove north, it wasn't treated and it jelled.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstem@comcast.net View Post
Truck stops pump large quantities of fuel every day, there for theres less chance of getting contaminants and it's all ways fresh. You have no chance of getting old fuel. The big trucks depend on the truck stops for clean fuel. I logged more than 2,000,000 miles and have only had a problem one truck stop. I puchased fuel down south in Oct. in the early 1990 and drove north, it wasn't treated and it jelled.

Interesting viewpoint... So how does (diesel) fuel in the tank get contaminated? Truck stops are notorious for stocking thousands of gallons of low quality. low cetane diesel. Obviously, the legal limit is 40... but that's not a goal. New craptastic fuel is of no benefit either. I treat truck stops just like I would treat a fly-by-night flea bag motel on the side of the interstate... so far it's worked well for me.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Millions of OTR truck drivers rely on truck stop fuel and they have no problems. The fuel comes from the same supplyer that supplys your little stations. there's no differance, same fuel. It all comes from the same storage tanks. The big trucks rely on good quality fuel more than you do.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The big trucks rely on good quality fuel more than you do.

Speak for yourself, the last time I checked, my payment for my truck comes from my checking account, not some trucker's!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
Yikes. I guess cleaning the housing is going to have to become a maintenance item for these trucks too. I would hate to be in the middle of nowhere in the winter and have to clean it :/.

As well, I'm sure everyone here buy's fuel from what we think are reputable places. Its just a shame that we have to go through this.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Millions of OTR truck drivers rely on truck stop fuel and they have no problems. The fuel comes from the same supplyer that supplys your little stations. there's no differance, same fuel. It all comes from the same storage tanks. The big trucks rely on good quality fuel more than you do.
please provide us with the statistics to your point "Millions of OTR truck drivers rely on truck stop fuel and they have no problems"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
water in fuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.