trailer lighting problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trailer lighting problem

For some reason my 09 randomly blows the big fuse under the hood that operates trailer running lights. brake lights and brakes, turn signals still work just no running lights. If I change it i might be able to go 60 miles with them working then at some point i look back and have a dark trailer. I know it is not the trailers because i pull them with my 03 often and it never blows the fuse works fine. This truck is under warranty but i have a dpf/cat delete and really don't want to take it in for this problem and them see that and cancel engine warranty if i have future problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo powerstroker View Post
For some reason my 09 randomly blows the big fuse under the hood that operates trailer running lights. brake lights and brakes, turn signals still work just no running lights. If I change it i might be able to go 60 miles with them working then at some point i look back and have a dark trailer. I know it is not the trailers because i pull them with my 03 often and it never blows the fuse works fine. This truck is under warranty but i have a dpf/cat delete and really don't want to take it in for this problem and them see that and cancel engine warranty if i have future problems
Sounds to me like a bad ground connection or chafed wire rubbing somewhere.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 AM

Ya could be It has been doing it since it was new but i didn't tow much with it the first 8 to 10k or not at night anyways so by the time i realized the problem i had done the dpf/cat delete and intake and really don't want to take it to dealer with dpf off.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:15 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Ya could be It has been doing it since it was new but i didn't tow much with it the first 8 to 10k or not at night anyways so by the time i realized the problem i had done the dpf/cat delete and intake and really don't want to take it to dealer with dpf off.
Did you keep the stock DPF? If not, I would go talk to the dealer and kinda feel them out about what they think about deleting the DPF and see if they are "mod" friendly.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:26 AM

yea i have the dpf just really don't want to put it back on if don't have to. Your write i should go to the dealer and see if i can figure out if they would freak if i brought the truck in with dpf off or not. They are a huge dealer so that concerns me. They probably would like to find a reason to not work on my truck
Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
yea i have the dpf just really don't want to put it back on if don't have to. Your write i should go to the dealer and see if i can figure out if they would freak if i brought the truck in with dpf off or not. They are a huge dealer so that concerns me. They probably would like to find a reason to not work on my truck
Yeah, I would do that and if they act kinda funny I'd just put it back on. No point in paying to have a wiring problem fixed while under warranty. My experience with wiring is it's either really quick and easy to fix or it takes forever and most places charge by the hour to fix wiring/electrical issues.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had this happen with one of my trailers. It was right after I got the truck, i assumed it was the truck since it didn't happen before. I didn't have a light issue on any one of the trailers prior. Then, I get a new truck and tow 2 different trailers with it. I blew the big fuze you speak of. After going through absolutely every possibility. Tracing wires, replacing the fuze, taking the truck to Ford, etc. I found the male end plug "on the trailer" very dirty, corroded and needing replaced. I replaced the plug and haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

OH, also, I did have brake lights and also signals. It was just driving lights all the way around just like you are talking about. Could just be the trailer. Save your knuckles by checking the trailer first.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM

Well maybe i should check the trailer plugs first they seem to work fine on my 03 though but maybe the 09 truck is more sensitive to a dirty plug or something thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im having the same problem. Just the running lights. I had added a set of the 3 red running lights under the tailgate a year ago and everything was fine until 3 months ago when I tried to pull a trailer. I blew the fuse under the hood. I figured maybe my install of those running lights was no good so I redid them. A week later I got a notification on the dash that the trailer wiring had a fault....so I hit reset. The lights still work. I dont know. Sounds like a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.