6.4L No boost / low power / limp mode - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4L No boost / low power / limp mode

Hey everyone, been a while since I've been on here.

I have 2008 F350 Powerstroke w/ 6spd manual.

I was driving the other day, had my 'check air filter' come on. This was due to blowing snow into my intake - normal problem hence the reason I had a spare filter to change on the road.

Before I pulled over to do this, I noticed when going up a hill that I had zero boost, not even a touch or movement out of the needle.

Pulled over immediately, took a look under the hood and found nothing weird - changed my air filter, felt the turbos for heat (were cold) and checked the flex elbows to/from intercooler all to be OK.

The truck entered into a limp mode and had the little wrench on my digital display and also a check engine light.

I have a DPF delete done with a simple pipe and the NADP module that just plugs into my OBDII slot. Up to this point has been trouble free.

I at the same time as above began getting "drive to clean exhaust filter" which indicates that the module may not have been working right, or just needed to be reset - so I reset it and it cleared that message.

Also, at this point with the truck in neutral it wouldn't allow me to rev more than 2000 rpm (which I believe was the limp mode kicking in).

After limping along for about 10 kilometers at 40km/h and not being able to rev more than 1100rpm while in gear and checking under the hood frequently I noticed that i began getting some boost - slowly but was able to get up to 10psi.

Drove it 40k to my destination like that. Then today I was playing around hoping I might find something and noticed that now I get zero boost again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys, any input at all.

Thanks again

Snooky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, seems I have the problem figured - brought it to a dealer and apparenetly they managed to get 4 cups of water out of the intercooler when they removed the lower flex elbow - so it must have been freezing up somewhere throughout the cooler....seems to be much better now - we'll see!!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

hope your cooler isnt cracked
Old 02-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, might as well continue this one....
Here today my turbo is acting the same again - no water in the intercooler this time - took the hose off of the bottom and noticed a small amount of oil dripping out. I am thinking it is from the crank case vent? Any ideas please advice....
But about the turbo - It only allowed 10psi boost, and now it seems to be even less. Not sure what it is this time as it isn't cold out like before - nor was there water in the intercooler.
I am trying to find a way to pressure test the cooler for leaks, not much available at this time of day but, does anyone have an idea on how I can join a piece of PVC pipe to my intercooler without ruining my boot such that i can put 20psi pressure on either side sealed off by the pvc? sounds pretty jimmy rigged but i am lost on how I could test it before Monday morning!

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey everyone, I am trying to pressure test my intercooler from one side to the other including the boots to find a leak maybe?
Anyone know how much pressure this should be tested to? Is it up to or higher than the 30-35psi boost range?
Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B12...YjdjZDFk&hl=en

Above is a link to a picture I took, wondering if anyone can tell me what this reservoir is, and right now it is low, as far as I can tell, but is it supposed to be half way up the sight glass? or Full on the glass? What kind of oil is that?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn00ky View Post
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B12...YjdjZDFk&hl=en

Above is a link to a picture I took, wondering if anyone can tell me what this reservoir is, and right now it is low, as far as I can tell, but is it supposed to be half way up the sight glass? or Full on the glass? What kind of oil is that?

Thanks
The photo will not come up for me. But I'm guessing by your description it is on the driver side, black res. with small radiator cap on it? If so that is for your fuel cooler, it takes 50/50 mix gold coolant. Anywhere in the sight glass is full enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.