White Smoke and Code P040D EGR Temp Sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke and Code P040D EGR Temp Sensor

I've done some searching and haven't found anything directly related to one of my problems. I have a 08 6.4 and ever since the beginning it has white smoked at times, what seems to be around regeneration time, but I will say it also seems to be worse during cold temperatures i.e. winter time. Anyhow, the past two weeks I have noticed a considerate amount of smoking, sometimes 3 and 4 times a day. Pours white smoke out the exhaust for a few seconds, truck loses boost and runs like crap when it happens, then afterwards everything is back to normal. Today the truck was running fine all day when I noticed that the check engine light was on. Truck seemed to continue to run fine, when I decided to gas on it a little and hit 10lbs of boost and it would not boost any more. I had the codes pulled and the code reader shows P040D - EGR Temperature Sensor A Circuit High. The code is not noted in the parts stores computer, however I did find a EGR Temperature Sensor for 77.98$ that can be ordered. I'm at a complete loss here and out of warranty at 155,000 miles. I have my thoughts on what could be causing the smoke and possibly the EGR temp sensor to go out, but I really would like to hear you guys thoughts and opinions. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 03:25 PM

I must add that this is not the truck in my sig. It's another truck in the fleet.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
that's the inlet temp sensor located on the right side up-pipe. they fail all the time and they're kind of a pain in the *** to change.

may or may not have anything to do with the smoke. you could still have an egr sticking. no other codes in the system?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM

This is my truck having the problems. I just joined so I can research. No there were no other codes thrown. Only the P040D EGR temperature sensor A circuit high. Trucks been running fine since cleared. Mechanic who is going to check it out Monday says he thinks the horizontal egr cooler is running hot and could be failing. After researching on the site I honestly think my white smoke issue is due to regeneration and more so due to the air charger moisture/condensation issue which ford issued the TSB for yet no recall was done.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Truck just came out of dealer. Egr temp sensor on y pipe is bad and it needs a flash update to stop the constant regen and supposedly create a cleaner more efficient burn when it does regen.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same problem and same code (EGR Sensor A circuit high) minus the white smoke. It seems that about 150 miles my truck runs like crap and once it cleans out runs good. I have changed out all three temp sensors on exhaust (heck of a job) two egr valve an egr cooler sensor and have dismantled the the dpf to the cat and washed out pressured test and still the same problem. Probably gonna go the DPF delete route
Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 AM

Well mine seems to be running better after the sensor was replaced, however it's still smoking bad at times. I believe it's a product of the air cooler charger problems where condensation gets in and the burns out after entering the exhaust. I'm definitely deleting the DPF/DOC before long. Now just have to decide on SCT Livewire, HS MiniMaxx or Spartan. From what I've read, a lot of people are extremely happy with the SCT Livewire and Innovative tunes. Plus it's about $600 cheaper than the Spartan when coupled with the delete pipe kit.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just some advice....I have been reading about this delete stuff daily for about 8 months now you know to help me decided what programmer to buy and what additional hardware i need such as EGR cooler block plates whether or not to delete the egr valve and ect..... one guy that seems to know his stuff and provides excellent customer service is Mike with KEM Tunes just google.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Yea I've read up on things. I'm def gonna go with the H&S and the KEM tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.