Noise when in F or R and wheels turned all the way - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noise when in F or R and wheels turned all the way

When I am driving my tuck at slow speeds and have the wheels turned all the way, it makes a sound like the tires are rubbing. I know the tires do not rub and I am running stock tires. It does this in both forward and reverse. It doesn't happen all the time but can not pin point it. A guy said it was u joints but said the sound is not what bad u joints sound like. I don't have a clue and didn't know if anyone else has had this issue.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have a 4x4, make sure that the front hubs are not in locked.
Then make sure you can spin the front axles. If not put the truck into 4x4 and then back into 2wd while moving. Then recheck the axles.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is 4 wheel drive but the hubs are in auto. They are only auto or lock. They wont hardly spin to change them either. This noise comes and goes and I haven't ran the truck in 4 wheel drive in a while.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 PM

If the hubs are staying locked in, it doesnt matter if the knob still says auto, it will make noise when you try tight turns.
Try spinning the axles. With the wheels straight they should turn fairly easy.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM

I had a rubbing noise ....there are dust/dirt covers...rings at the end of the axel housing on the front axel. you need to check and see if one of them has come off and is laying on the axel shaft. This will cause a rubbing noise when turning, I have a Job 1 4X4 and this part has been redesigned on the later Super Duties trucks. You will look for a ring at the end of the axel housing, if this is the problem...the ring will be laying on the axel shaft. You can clean this area with brake cleaner and use Lock-tight adhesive to put it back in place ...use duck Tape to hold it in place while drying. This has worked for me and I'am not having issues. I took the truck to the dealer, when I found out what the problem was .....they stated it was a dust/dirt cover...2 pc seal...I could cut the ring off and have not issues, but I elected to try this fix and not spend $$$$ at the dealer.
Good luck and keep us posted....
Old 12-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I took it to the Ford dealer and they looked over everything, said nothing was wrong or loose and couldn't duplicate the noise. After being out plowing, I have narrowed it down to left hand turns only. It only makes the noise when the wheels are turned all the way to the left. What it sounds like, is that it stays locked in 4 wheel drive. It is in 2 wheel drive for sure. I told the dealer this but of course the tech couldn't ride in it for two seconds cause he was busy. The service writer told me if I kept on driving, it wouldn't do any more damage but could cause my 4 wheel drive to malfunction if the hub assembly or whatever sheared.

TB, when you talk about spinning the axle, does the front end need to be jacked up and the vehicle in neutral? If it was in park wouldn't the wheels not spin?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:25 PM

I don't know what to say....I'am betting ...it's that dust cover "RING" It will rub...against the yoke and axel housing....when turning...in your case ....left turns. It is easy to determind this...and if this is the case...easy to fix. Again good luck in resolving your problem....please keep us informed.....and if I'am wrong....please let me know.....
Old 12-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke2008 View Post
I don't know what to say....I'am betting ...it's that dust cover "RING" It will rub...against the yoke and axel housing....when turning...in your case ....left turns. It is easy to determind this...and if this is the case...easy to fix. Again good luck in resolving your problem....please keep us informed.....and if I'am wrong....please let me know.....
The noise that you are talking about, would it sound like a loud grinding noise?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:05 PM

It was loud enough....to make me get out of the truck ...get on the ground ....and look under the truck.......I was able to see the dust ring.....which was part of the seal.....It was a rubbing....never a grinding noise....
Old 12-18-2010, 05:22 AM

Yea dealerships are about worthless with problems they cant just plug the scanner in and change an EGR valve. Happened to me a few times with my truck. It is like they dont care anymore. Hell they told me they could duplicate a boost loss while in regen, while towing. No Sh&^ you cant duplicate. But said the computer was fine.
You can reach into the hub and spin the axle. Wont matter if the truck is on off, etc.
If it is releasing when in 2wd it will spin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.