Loud Rattle No Power NO Boost ... Turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loud Rattle No Power NO Boost ... Turbo?

Hello ,

I have a major problem I believe..... I was coming home from thanksgiving and topping a small hill and when I stepped on it a little from coasting I lost all power and boost.. Shut the truck down immediately (before I was stopped.. coasted to a stop) .. I was on a major highway and backed it up about 50 feet into a field entrance... at idle there is a loud rattle clanging sort of sound... Previously before this happened the truck would go into Regen bout every 50-100 miles ... not sure if i have blown turbo(s) plugged DPF or something else .. anyone have any insite on the problem ...

Its a 2008 F-250 6.4L with 214,000 miles ... any help would be appreciated .. hate driving my back up truck with this one sitting in the driveway ...

Thanks
Monte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you ever figure out what happened?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I havent yet ... the truck is still sitting 125 miles away.. My back up truck wont be able to pull it so Im waiting on my friend to get his truck over that way so I can get it back to where I live so my mechanics can look at it ...
Old 12-06-2010, 04:10 PM

I hope you have it hidden somewhere safe. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still no luck getting my truck back to where I live now ... Finally found a truck and trailer big enough to trailer it back but no time to do so as of yet .... Had several people offer suggestions to what is wrong... let me know if any of these sound logical..
1. Plugged DPF filter.
2. Bearings in Turbo.
3. Turbo boot.

This is my first diesel and rather green to everything and right now cannot afford replacing Low and High turbos ... if it wasnt against the law im ready to light a match to this truck ! love it but cant afford all the repairs anymore ...

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions please let me know .. im getting worried its going to be a $3,000 repair or more ...

Thanks
Old 12-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you everyone for the ideas ... still stumped ... im out working on it right now and no shaft play on the high pressure turbo.. after starting the truck briefly the sound is coming from the low pressure turbo and sounds like the bearings are just rolling around in the case ... with no boost on the guage ... pretty sure its a smoked Low Pressure Turbo... disconnected the DPF thinking part of the problem and pretty sure it is plugged.. after disconnecting it then i started it and smoked all to hell unlike before.. bout 3 handfulls of soot fell out of the dpf/cat when i split them.
does anyone know how hard it is to remove just the high pressure turbo?
Old 12-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
very hard, if you don't want to remove the cab you could pull the trans to get the up-pipes out. other than that i don't have any suggestions for you. i've never tried to get the turbos out cab-on/trans in. they say it can be done...........but i don't know who they are

i have also heard of the low pressure turbo being seperated on the truck, but once again i don't know exactly how this is done. in theory the only exhaust to be removed is the downpipe and it's only connected to the high turbo by a gasket. i have gotten the low turbo up enough to change the oil drain so i think it may be possible
Old 12-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ahhh I C ... well thats all I need to hear ... haha . Never fails I get to a point where I think that I can tackle something and I get to a certain spot and start yelling at myself for attempting it and not just taking it to the shop ... Either way A dealer wont be looking at it ... Both Dealers here in Des Moines Iowa both are crooked and thieves and would rather let the truck sit than let them touch it .. hahaha ... Well I appreciate your input and will post if I find anything new or once I get it fixed as to the real culprit... haha Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Just a FYI, I don't think you can tell by looking at the DPF if it is clogged or not. You can not see through it, even win new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.