Sticky Lifter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sticky Lifter

For those of you that have the pleasure of owning a 6.4 Powerstroke have any of you ever experienced a sticky lifter?

It started about a month and a half ago. Brought it to the Ford dealer to hear what they had to say. Service manager comes out and presumes it's a sticky lifter but there is no way of really telling unless you tear the engine down. The service manager recommended to run about a liter of ATF through it at the next oil change...which I did and the noise went away ....until now

Went out to do a call with her this morning get off of the highway and I hear it....tick...TICK....TICK!!!! ALOT worse than it was before. So i pulled over, through it into neutral, and gave it a little shot of throttle and the whole truck started to shimmy . I thought it was gonna blow up right there. I limp it back to the shop and by the time I get back the tick is gone and the truck is running normal again.

Now back when I spoke with the service manager, as I mentioned, there is no way of telling what lifter it may even be unless they start pulling them all out along that bank. Once they do actually find that damaged lifter, at that point, they would be able to tell if the cam was scored and if that were the case it would be cheaper to buy a whole new motor than it would be to replace the lifters and cam

Don't even ask how much a new 6.4 is because it has enough shock value to stop the rotation of the earth and re-start it back up in reverse. Maybe 2012 is when all 6.4's will blow up?

The truck has 175,000kms (108000mi) on it...that's 15000 out of warranty.

Gotta love Frod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So I just came back from the Ford dealer. Since the last time I was there Ford has put out a TSB to try and cover their buts.

TSB goes as;

FORD:
2008-2010 F-Super Duty

This Article supersedes TSB 08-19-5 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 250-55 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a random engine ticking / tapping noise that is most noticeable when engine coolant temperature is 185F (85C) or higher and from base idle to approximately 1500RPM. Some customers may complain that this noise becomes more evident after 3000-5000 miles have accumulated on the vehicle or after an engine oil change.

ACTION:
Refer to the Service Procedure for repair recommendation.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:
The ticking / tapping noise is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. 6.4L Powerstroke diesel engines are manufactured to tight tolerances in order to meet strict durability and reliable standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship between engine block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and oil viscosity / film. This relationship allows a pulsation that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. This condition is present on all diesel engines.

Technological improvements and overall noise reduction in today's diesel engines make this issue seem new when in fact it was masked by other noises on previous engines. Other engine manufacturers report similar conditions in their diesel engines. Vehicle testing and engine tear down analysis have confirmed this condition will not affect reliability or long-term durability of this engine. Dealers should not attempt to perform vehicle-to-vehicle noise comparisons. This may lead to incorrect conclusions and ineffective repairs.

NOTE:
DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIRS FOR THIS NORMAL NOISE CONDITION. REPLACING THE ENGINE OR INTERNAL COMPONENTS WILL NOT REDUCE OR ELIMINATE THE TICKING / TAPPING NOISE. PLEASE PROVIDE THIS BULLETIN TO CUSTOMERS THAT INQUIRE ABOUT THIS CONDITION.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information only dealer coding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.