REGEN QUESTION - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking REGEN QUESTION

Can anyone tell me about the regen. My 08 F-250 began to idle up and it will run for about 5 minutes and then come back to normal. Tonight after putting my Banks cold air intake on and running it for about 3 days the idle went up and it began blowing smoke from the exhaust. This has never happened before. After about 3 minutes the smoke stopped, but it continued to idle up and continued for about 7 minutes. I shut the truck off and it sounded like the turbos were still running. Is this normal or does it sound like something is wrong. This is my first diesel and I'm learning slowly.

Thanks in Advance for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking REGEN PROBLEM

Is there anyone out there that can help me with this? Is this in the wrong forum if so please let me know.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The truck shouldn't be going into regen while idling, unless it hasn't had any updated flashes done. What color is the smoke it blows? If it's black smoke the DPF is damaged. The turbos will sound like they are running after you shut the engine off because they have been spinning about 20,000rpm, and it takes a little time to slow to a stop. The best thing you could do for your truck is delete the DPF and get rid of the whole regen problem.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking REGEN PROBLEM

When is the truck suppose to go into REGEN? It usually happens when I am parked. When I put the truck in drive the REGEN stops. Last night it went in to the REGEN again two nights in a row and it took between 20 to 30 minutes with no smoke. I haven't seen were it says it was done, but I havent been inside of the truck do to the long time periods of the REGEN. Where would it say Done? Also if I have the Banks Ram air on the truck will I have a problem if I take it to the dealership. Also it was dark the other night and I couldn't tell what color the smoke was. It only smoked for about 20 to 30 seconds and then it stopped and the REGEN continued. To do the delete I know it would void my waranty and I don't want to do that just yet

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Solo,
Is the truck new to you and if so, do you know what Job # it is? It may not have the newest flash. These trucks have an issue in rainy weather and if you're on the east coast, it may be that. It may be the EGR valve if it is the original style, with the coolant line running to it.
The display will say Cleaning Exhaust Filter when in regen. Some will tell you it's done and some, like mine do not. I can tell by the sound of the engine when it's in regen. If the truck is a Job1 with no new flashes, it will regen while in park. That caused alot of problems with people getting burned when waling past a truck in regen. Now when the truck is put in park, the regen stops. If you stop the truck during a regen, it will pick up again when you re-start the truck. Best advice is drive it until it stops. Hope it helps
Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok check this out my wife was driving my truck down a major expressway with my 2 sons and regen came on then the truck shut off so she pulled off to the side of the road. Soot that was still burning came out the tail pipe and caught the grass on fire next to the truck and she didn't even know it. Long story short everyone including the truck was ok. Like Greasltn said delete it and never have to worry about it anyway plus get a couple mpg's better to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.