Train Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Train Smoke

About a week ago I left a stop light and noticed the street behind me filled with white smoke. I thought it was the beater next to me. Last night while coming home from dinner I heard a honk behind me and when I looked in the mirror all I saw was a dense cloud of white smoke. Cars were honking and pulling over. It was dusk and you could just make out some dim headlights through the smoke. As I let off the gas the smoke let off, but there was still smoke coming from my tail pipe. After about a block it just stopped, no smoke at all. I got home and rubbed my finger inside the tail pipe and it was dry and clean as a whistle.

The stealer says that it is common for the 6.4 to begin to leak internally and that it starts itermittantly at first, but then blows all together. Now that I have 36.2K miles they want $200 to look at it. Anyone else ever have this happen? Service manager says it's the EGR or a head gasket going bad.

Specs: Job 3 2008 F350 CC 2wd DRW. Bone stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 05:31 AM
The Tamed Racing Driver

I doubt this helps but my cousins 2007 Cummins did the same thing when we put his DPF on. The truck was still going into regen making hilatious cloud of white smoke with no ill effects to power or anything.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by late_99_PSD View Post
I doubt this helps but my cousins 2007 Cummins did the same thing when we put his DPF on. The truck was still going into regen making hilatious cloud of white smoke with no ill effects to power or anything.

I assume you mean that you put the DPF delete on? Mine still has the DPF, but like your cousin, I lose no power at all when it happens. Just mucho white smoke, and I mean mucho.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dumb question here, but what does the EGR have to do with water in the motor? I thought it was just exhaust gasses.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'd look for another dealer. Most will help you out, if you're only 200 miles out of warranty. And besides, the deductable for the powertrain warranty is only 100 bucks, not 200

On your EGR question, if the cooler blows, it will allow coolant into the intake system, and into the cylinders. More common on the 6.0, I haven't heard of issues on the 6.4 coolers
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I'd look for another dealer. Most will help you out, if you're only 200 miles out of warranty. And besides, the deductable for the powertrain warranty is only 100 bucks, not 200

On your EGR question, if the cooler blows, it will allow coolant into the intake system, and into the cylinders. More common on the 6.0, I haven't heard of issues on the 6.4 coolers
Thanks, I also have the most expensive extended warranty, premium care or whatever they call it. The dealer is an arse. I just got it back on Saturday for some EGT issues, 2nd time. I called them from my work and told them that it was acting up again and that it had 35,990 miles on it and I asked if it would be ok if I went a mile or two over 36K. They said no way and I had to have it towed in for $75. They will charge me $200 to look at it and I get $100 back if it is something under warranty. I reminded them that I have only a few miles over 36K and an extended warranty and they don't seem to care. I asked if I should still be driving it and they said it was not their decision, but if I hydro lock it, the warranty may not cover.

I'm going to drive it through the front doors if it blows up.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not entirely sure about 6.4s but on a 6.0 the egr cooler utilizes the engines coolant to cool the exhaust, when they rupture the coolant leaks into the exhaust flow and into the intake. My 6.0 smoked just as bad as yours. It was insane, I parked it that day and deleted the egr the next morning. At the time I lived over the big hill from Sacramento so I drove over to mkm customs to buy my delete. Presto it was cured. So your issue is possibly the egr as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Hopefully you can find another dealer to take it to. I did the same thing, had a dealer (the one I bought the truck from), used the service dept for a death wobble issue, they messed with my steerin box, and now the steering is more loose than my 87 4runner with 354k, they sucked. Took it to another deler for a trans flush, they were good, but told me my oil leak I wanted them to look at was coming from the bedplate. Took it to a dealer real close to my work, so that I could take advantage of the shuttle service, for the oil leak. The oil leak was NOT from the bedplate! The guy that fixed it was a real good guy, and we ended up BSing in his stall for 30 minutes about everything 6.0 PSD

Point is, some dealers are good, and some just don't give a chit about anything other than selling you a truck
Old 09-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys. Would the EGR problem make it itermittent? When it smokes it really smokes, then absolutely nothing. It dosen't run or sound any different when it's doing it. If NASA designed a machine to produce smoke, my 6.4 would destroy it.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
Thanks guys. Would the EGR problem make it itermittent? When it smokes it really smokes, then absolutely nothing. It dosen't run or sound any different when it's doing it. If NASA designed a machine to produce smoke, my 6.4 would destroy it.
When the EGR valve opens, it will let coolant into the intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.