My 6.4 is a POS! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:16 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 6.4 is a POS!

Well where do I start, the truck is a 2010, has 44K bought October 09. Since I bought it I had a warranty claim for the brakes, and just recently for the steering linkage, track bar, and ball joints. Now things are getting interesting.
Yesterday, I was out driving around at work, heading to a customers house, I stopped at a red light, when it turned green I hit the gas and the truck was like a snail, no power, WTH, the tach is hitting 3000, the speedo is barely hitting 30 and the turbo was reading 0psi. It stayed like that for about 5 mins, and then as suddenly as it came on, turbo kicked in, trans shifted, and it was the same truck as it usually is. Now the whole time that was happening, no codes and now lights in the cluster. I took the truck to my buddy, he scanned it, came up clear, so I'm back to square one. Drove rest of the day and back home, no problems.

Today it got real interesting. So I was heading out to Boston, to see my GF, and as soon as I get over into MA, I start to have issues, going up a decent grade, it started to do what it was doing yesterday, NO POWER, 0psi on turbo, and my speed is dropping and rpm's climbing cause I have the pedal to the floor. I had my hazards on, and my strobes, just crawling to the top of the F...ing grade. I pulled over sat for avout 15 mins, and I thought maybe the Turbos are overheating and shutting down to prevent a failure. Because truck strarted ti drive again after the wait. (At this point I should've turned around and headed for home) But alas I continued on. Now I'm having major issues accelerating to pass someone. Running at 70, I try to pass, have the pedal mashed and the RPMs are at 3K and the needle is just creeping past 70, then at 75 or 76 the truck finally shifts. At this point I decided it would be best to head home. I turned around, kept having more and more shifting problems, then I came to a long hard grade.
Half a mile from the top, turbo psi starts to drop off, the more I push the pedal the faster the speed drops, I am able to limp to the top of the hill at 10MPH into a service plaza, and call AAA. I was F...ING LIVID!
I am about at my wits end with this truck, havent even had it for a year yet, and thinking about giving ti back to the dealer. I just got home after a 3 1/2 hr ride home in the wrecker, and I'm gonna have to call for another tow on monday to get it to the dealer. And I know they're gonna have to take the cab off, I am just so PISSED OFF right now!

James.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That sucks man. Are you gonna repair it or return it once you find out?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its threads like this that make me glad I got rid of my 6.4. That sucks to hear though. I wonder what it could be?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Keep us informed about the problem and repair.

Hope they get you up and running after completely repairing the problem.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Well took the truck to dealer today, and for once they were able to recreate the problem. Tech said that the truck at idle should have the fuel pressure running around 5000psi and at 75mph he said it should be at 22,000psi. Well thats what he had on his computer, then all of a sudden it dropped to 7000psi, the turbo gauge read 0psi and the thing slowed to a crawl. And he pulled a code for 'low fuel pressure'. Anyways he said it is one of 3 possible things: 1st, it could be the fuel pressure sensor, 2nd and more likely he said was the fuel pump, and 3rd, possibly a leaking injector, but he thought that was a long shot because he said it would be a more constant problem.
Now he said the later two options would require the cab to be removed, I was not liking that, because now I'm thinking, something is going to get screwed up either taking it apart or putting it back together. I think I'm more stressed now than I was before, think a little is called for.

James.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

you gotta pull the cab for a fuel pump?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

cooperstown huh, makes me want to make a trip home and go to fly creek to get some cider.

anyway, good luck with the repair. after all the years dealing with the 6.0 trucks im sure the mechanics have enough experience taking the cab on and off.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:50 AM

That is the reason, That my truck is still stock, I'm worried that it'll break down & my WARRANTY will be V O I D. My truck is almost 2 years old & has 30,059 miles
Old 09-02-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
you gotta pull the cab for a fuel pump?
For the high pressure fuel pump yes.

Its not that big a deal for Ford to pull the cab. That truck was designed to have the cab come off for repairs. They know how to do it by now.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Thanks, that eases my stress some.

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.