smoke durring regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
smoke durring regen

i have notices this before and forgot to ask about it. some times during a re-gen theres a noticeable amount of blue smoke. i know dumping fuel during the exhaust stroke this, but ive never really noticed this before. it doesnt happen every re-gen the first time i saw it, the truck went into re-gen before it was up to temp. the last time the truck was up to temp so i dont know now.

btw im running a super chips cortex turner and have been for 15,000. dont bash me to hard im upgrading it soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

even with a tuner you should not have any "smoke" coming out of the exhuast with the
DPF still installed. I would take the tuner out and take it to your dealership for warranty work.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 PM

First off, it appears that the cortex does not shut off the regen according to your statement that it has went into regen before and this is the first time under cold condition that you have seen smoke, so I would not worry a bit if it is blue smoke, it is just fuel. On the other hand if you see white smoke, then you have a problem. My advise would be to take the tuner off and just run slightly lower power until you can get the rest of the exhaust off, if thats your intention, if not, leave the cortex in its original box and maybe it will go away on it's own

08 F-350 4x4 dually
4" Pro-Flo - naked
Edge Tuner p/n 15500
S&B airbox
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

[QUOTE=moriea1;2052242]First off, it appears that the cortex does not shut off the regen according to your statement that it has went into regen before and this is the first time under cold condition that you have seen smoke, so I would not worry a bit if it is blue smoke, it is just fuel. On the other hand if you see white smoke, then you have a problem. My advise would be to take the tuner off and just run slightly lower power until you can get the rest of the exhaust off, if thats your intention, if not, leave the cortex in its original box and maybe it will go away on it's own
the smoke or the tuner???

i notices something else during the regen presses, i run with the programmer plugged in to use the gages it has, when the truck isnt making boost, the boost gage reads something like 2373psi, but as soon as it builds any kind of boost it will read normal. when the truck isnt in a regen the boost gage gage is around .5psi under same conditions the truck has power and drives normal other then that.
xmass is coming soon and maybe the man will stop by spartan HQ before he comes my way
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Only thing I can say is my truck is stock, and when the temps drop outside my truck smokes like train in regen. Blue white smoke only in regen its pretty bad if you ask me makes a $50,000 truck look like a piece of s**t going down the road. Been to the dealer said its normal nothing they can do if its cold outside. Hear comes winter to start all over again
Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palady6.4 View Post
Only thing I can say is my truck is stock, and when the temps drop outside my truck smokes like train in regen. Blue white smoke only in regen its pretty bad if you ask me makes a $50,000 truck look like a piece of s**t going down the road. Been to the dealer said its normal nothing they can do if its cold outside. Hear comes winter to start all over again
Ummmm ... that is total BS. They should NEVER smoke. Mine never smokes down to -45c. Mine is going in this thursday for a new DPF because there is soot in the tailpipe, never even came out to look at my truck. Just said "The DPF is damaged, ANY smoke or soot it is replaced". I had came in because when the engine is cold I can get it to puff a tiny wisp of smoke if I cycle the throttle.

Maybe ask BigAngrHillbilly, he seems to be the best source of reliable information on this site.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

I thought the blue smoke was odd too, first time it happened during Regen, was probably between 30-40* and I thought I really screwed up the engine, but the dealer says that it is normal for the truck to smoke like that during a Regen.
I really wish I had a switch to initiate the Regen when I'm on the highway, because it'll normally initiate when I'm about to pull into my driveway or when I get to work, and I'm not going to drive around for another 20mins just so that pos filter can clean itself out.

James.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM

I would look further in to it. I thought blue smoke was different, like EGR problems. Not sure.

I second the regen on command. You could have it as an option on the dash, when you are flipping through "info" then have a "push reset for commanded regen", just like it does for a "system check". Have you seen the "Ford story" website? You submit your idea and ford goes through them and actually implements ones that they like or that are popular (you can vote on other peoples ideas).....
Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Oh ya, Ford just called and said that "Hotline" suggested they change my DPF due to soot, traces of smoke. So that proves it. I am rockin' the quotations today. "that is all"

"Peter"
Old 09-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

so the verdict is in, return the truck to stock, drive it for a while...then give it to them for a new DPF?? it did it again today. truck was up to temp, about 60 out side and it only was smoking for the first few mins of the process. im going to take to cortex out for a while and see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.