EGR or DPF problem? Need Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR or DPF problem? Need Help

Okay, this has been developing over the past couple months. It's going to be a long read, but I want to explain what is going on so bear with me.

My truck is a 2008 F-250, Job 1, with 35,000 miles.
Previous problems: new turbo, new radiator, new intercooler all around 24,000 miles.

Here is what is going on. At first, I've noticed a slight increase in "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" frequency. Just blew it off as a change in driving habits or whatever. I didn't change nothing though as far as my actual driving habits other than the fact that here in the past couple months I’ve been driving the truck MORE, which would obviously lead me to believe that it would Clean the exhaust filter more often. However, upon closer look, I've noticed the miles between regens have dropped significantly. Maybe to one regen every 100-125 miles. It regens TWICE a tank now like clockwork and my MPG's have dropped down to roughly 10 (where as before was 12-13). Before it was averaging every 175-200 miles. Okay, cool, nothing too major, so I just noted it and went on about my business.
Okay, that's when I first started noticing little changes in how the truck acts. Now, granted that every single morning/evening here in Eastern KY has been very humid and about 70 degrees. Once the truck gets up to operating temperatures the truck has started a very sluggish acceleration. I blew it off again as just water in the Intercooler (although, I have already replaced the intercooler once before for this problem of white smoke in rainy conditions). Sometimes I will see grayish/blue smoke when this happens, but not every single time. Sometimes it is so sluggish that the truck shakes, hesitates and feels like I’m towing a house behind me. Typically when I see smoke a regen follows shortly thereafter. Tailpipes are clean. Again, I just noted it and went about my business because other than that, the truck drives fine with no lights on the dash.
Just about anytime now that you accelerate from a stop, the truck feels sluggish, although it rev's fine. Again, it feels like it is towing a house behind me. It still makes good boost 35+psi on the stock gauge.
Now, to make this complex back in late Feb/Early March I had the radiator, turbo, and intercooler replaced. I drove it without any problem. During this last oil change I noticed the radiator coolant in the degas tank was about an inch below the cold fill line. And before, it was right at and mostly above the cold fill line two or three months after having the radiator replaced because I watched it like a hawk until I got confident it wasn't loosing coolant. Now..... it's loosing coolant somewhere. I've looked all under the truck and can't find a trace of it, although it has been raining quite a bit here so it would be a little hard to notice if it was leaking at times. During this last oil change, I sent my oil off to Blackstone like I have always done. This is what pushed me over the edge to get concerned.

Truck is 100% BONE STOCK. Motorcraft EVERYTHING since brand new. Last air filter was changed at 21,500 miles, last oil was changed at 34,100 miles, and last fuel filters were replaced 32,100 miles. Oil/Water Separator drained monthly; religiously. Power Service ULSD Fuel Additive/Cetane Booster has also been used since probably December of '09.

What in the world is going on!? DPF getting plugged? EGR system going bad? The more time that goes on the more aggravated I get at my truck, and i'm starting to lose confidence that something bad could go wrong at any minute. It's been in the shop 3 times in one year. I bought the truck August 25th 2009. I've considered trading it off, but I can't really afford to to be honest. I just bought some 295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers that will be delivered at the end of the week. I do love this truck, but I'm starting to second guess myself if I want to deal with it or get rid of it. Is this something to be worthy enough to take to the dealer for or do I just keep driving until something happens? I have been told that Ford does not recognize oil samples. I am out of my factory warranty (time wise), but I bought the ford ESP Extra Care warranty with the truck.

Last edited by Shadrack; 08-18-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 PM

WARRANTY is 5 years or 100,000 miles on the 6.4 PSD engine. I drive my 2008 F-250 in FLORIDA MONSOON rains & have no problems. If you're missing coolant, have you checked your oil to see if the coolant is going there???
Old 08-18-2010, 03:52 PM

Oil looked clean at time of change and it is not showing up on my oil samples. And as far as warranty I was talking about the bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Sounds like an EGR cooler is starting to leak. That would explain the silver and potassium. It would also explain the smoking and loss of coolant. Talk to your dealer about the situation and he should help you out.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM

That's what I was fearing as well.

I wish I could just come talk to you guys and you delete all that crap for me! Every emission thing hooked to this engine is nothing but junk and absolutely kills the truck. It seems to be getting a little more sluggish, what would explain that? You think the problem could be two-fold? Leaky cooler and DPF getting plugged? Shew, i'll never get the dealer to believe me. I know if they drive it they will say "Could not duplicate problem, truck drives fine." and tell me i'm crazy. I really want to get rid of the emissions crap but i'm sure I can't afford it right now. I would say all that stuff is expensive.

Last edited by Shadrack; 08-19-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Shad did you figure this out? I'm leaking coolant too and think its a bogus egr. Same situation- degas was about an inch low. I filled her up earlier this week and she's low again. Pop the hood and it smells like coolant.
Taking it to the dealer on Monday. I have 32k on mine. Blackstone shows no coolant in oil.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 AM

Took it ino the dealer a while back. Dealer kept it for TWO WEEKS.
"Could not duplicate problem" and DIDN'T EVEN TOP OFF MY COOLANT! Errrrrrrrr! I put about 1/4 gallon of distilled water in the tank and I'm saying hell with it. If it runs dry and blows up I don't care. I'm tired of worrying about it, and to be honest, I shouldn't have to be worrying about it on a truck this new. Stupid, I hate this emissions crap on these trucks. Nothing but problems.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Shadrack did you get a check engine light when your turbo blew?? Mine had a cracked pipe coming out of turbo, blown turbo, high pressure diesel pump coming apart and no engine codes. Yes, emissions system is an inherent design flaw and causes all kinds of issues with the truck.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:43 AM

No check engine light. My turbo never actually completely failed. Just had A LOT of oil seeping around it and at first they put a turbo seal in and told me it was fixed. I drove it a few days and noticed it hadn't cleared up. Took it back in, and that's when they told me the housing had cracked letting oil seep through. My opinion, because of the extremely high exhaust gas temps during regen!!
Before the new turbo I was getting 3-4% fuel in oil dilution. The next oil change was about halfway through the oil run when I had the turbo changed. That showed I believe 2.5% oil. The next 3 oil changes since then have been <.5% fuel in oil.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, exactly what is happening the the inherent design flaw. I had an oil analysis done when the dealer failed to change it and had over 4% of diesel in the crank case. I don't know if my engine will make it to 100,000 miles. Needs to be a class action suit due to this regen design it is the root of most of the problems. That much of diesel in an engine will ruin bearings, cylinders,pistons, valves...did you have your analyzed for metals. I had a pretty high concentration of copper in mine. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.