6.4 falling apart...JUNK!!! Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down 6.4 falling apart...JUNK!!! Help

I need help. I purchased a 2010 6.4 crew 4x4 about 9-10 months ago. The truck has a 5' lift and 37 tires from the dealer. Lift, etc is under 3 yr-36k warranty. Shortly after delivery the truck started bouncing bad at around 55mph. It would only last a few seconds and quit. It was bad enough to sometimes chop your voice when speaking. Transmission also has vibration in it. I take the truck to the dealer. I get it back the next day with "No problem found" I have it a week and take it back again. Steering is loose, bouncing, and trans vibration. I asked for a tech to ride with me so I could show them. Tech comes out and looks at truck. Says here is the problem. Pitman arm is stripped/loose. They order new pitman arm, I also ask them to check the trans. when I get it back steering is fixed. Truck has around 5k miles. Same other problems still exist. I take it back. "no problem found" I take it back again. This time they think it is a tire issue. They order a new tire. While the tire is ordered I notice that the rear axl is crooked. They replace tire and fix axl. (7k miles) Bouncing still going on, transmission still vibrating when I get it back. A month passes and transmission light comes on. Truck is in the shop for over 3 weeks. When I get it back it has a new transmission and a new particulate filter. (9k miles) Apparently filter when bad while they had it??? I still have vibration, bouncing and a new problem. Play in steering has shown up again. (10.5 K miles) I call Ford asking for replacement truck or a buy back. I take it to dealer and Ford sends out a engineer. Ford denies my claim due to engineer finding no problem with truck. However my truck is still in shop...tomorrow will be two weeks. They are waiting on parts for "no problem found" I know some of the parts are a new pitman arm and new steering stabilizer. I have had it with Ford. What can I do. This is the 4th ford truck I have owned, and the last. Their customer service is a joke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sorry to hear that, would try a diff ford dealer. good luck hope it works it's self out.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM

sounds more like you're having problems with THAT dealership than anything.. i'd go for the buy back and look at having a quality lift installed by a 4x4 shop.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree the dealership has issues. However the engineer that said the truck had no problem was sent from out of town by Ford.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What kind of tires does the truck have on it? Reason I ask I had 05 lifted and had pro comp tires and they suck never could get them balanced right. Besides my local tire guy does tire install for the local 4 wheel shop, and he said pro comp tires suck. Just somthing to look into
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

"Bouncing" as you describe it is a tire related issue. A vibration would be a transmission / driveline issue.

My guess is tires out of balance, bad tire, crappy roads, or a bent rim. My tires will develop a slight shimmy on the roads out here because the roads are concrete slab type and are falling apart.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:41 PM

you arnt experiencing "death wobble" are you? With a 5" lift and 37's, its not going to ride smooth, im sure you know that though. I would try a different dealer like other suggested. They might have some different ideas on what to look for / correct.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The tires are pro comp. The bounce only seems to happen between 50 and 60 MPH which makes me think tires. However that should not cause the tranmission to fail.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:27 PM

when i lifted mine i had the same problem my bounce was aroud 45 some was the flat spotted tire but i made a one and quarter inch shim for my drive shaft and took it all away, guess just had it in little bit of a bind and it bounced just a thought?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I got a call around 9 this morning. Dealership told me the parts came in yesterday and my truck would be ready for pickup this afternoon. Only took two weeks this time. I crank the truck..Display says I have 4 miles until empty. I go two miles up the road and fill it up. When I crank it up the check engine light comes on. I turn it back off and try again. Still on. I pull out headed back to the dealership. The truck has no power at all. I go get the service manager and show him the truck. He thinks one of the turbos went out. So now I am with out a truck again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.