Water seperator valve won't open. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water seperator valve won't open.

How hard should it be to open the water separator valve? I pushed pretty hard with my thumb, tried a small screwdriver, wouldn't budge. I don't want to break it, I read a post on fixing that and I don't want to mess with that.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 PM

Ihe first time I opened mine I thought it was about to break right before it opened up. I think I have a bad water in fuel sensor right now, I have opened mine pretty regular lately and it seem to open pretty easy now.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 PM

There is a kit....to replace valve, you can do it yourself or have the dealer to it...dealer 140.00... this common
Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I bought a used 2008 w/80K miles the other week, and into the first tank the Drain Water message came up. Not surprised considering the truck sat empty for 2.5 months since it had been traded in. Anyhow, the first time I went to open the water drain it was EXTREMELY tough to open. Gave myself a nice blood blister on my middle finger trying to get it open, then pryed it a little bit with a screwdriver until it loosened up. Took me 4-5 days of draining a quart here and there to get all the water out, but over the course of that time - it now opens pretty easily with just one finger.

My advice is drain a little once a month into a clear cup or bottle, just to eyeball and verify there's no water in there -- and the regular check will keep the valve lubed up with fuel so it's easier to do!

Greg
Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the feedback. I took the truck into the stealership for oil and fuel filter change yesterday, $300 later they got the valve open and said "there was a lot of water". I got under there when I got home and it was still pretty tough to open, but I got it. I opened and closed it another half dozen times and that seemed to loosen it a bit.

After spending some time on the forums, I'm going to start doing my own oil and fuel filter changes. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FASS

new to the Forum looked around a little before posting this and havent seen it brought up yet.

little background: I have a 2010 F-350 4700 miles on it. volant intake, cat/dpf delete M.B.R.P. stainless exhaust, and a spartan 275 tune,
when i go anymore then half throttle my fuel pressure gauge on the piller reads like 1.5 - 2.5 PSI after i did this once or twice I though it would be a good idea to drive it as easy as i could until i got this fixed.

question: could this be something wrong with my stock pump? bad fuel? or do i just need to put a FASS system in?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 08:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Home - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

I use this place for all of my Motorcraft filters. The best price and cheap shipping.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm regularly checking the water separator now. When I open the valve, nothing but diesel comes out. I catch it in a clear water bottle and while I haven't let it run until it stops, it seems like it would drain the tank. How much diesel should I get? Reading some other posts it sound like some guys get a drip.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRider6 View Post
I'm regularly checking the water separator now. When I open the valve, nothing but diesel comes out. I catch it in a clear water bottle and while I haven't let it run until it stops, it seems like it would drain the tank. How much diesel should I get? Reading some other posts it sound like some guys get a drip.
I let it run for about 30 seconds, then I close the valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.