Want to fix exhaust leak!!!!Soon! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want to fix exhaust leak!!!!Soon!

Well, I have an exhaust leak! from what I've read here, I'm guessing up-pipes are cracked. You can hear it, sounds like a vacum leak on a gasser. It comes and goes though, probably when the egr valve opens and closes. The firewall and top of tranny are covered in soot. Also have alittle turbo lag. I need to fix this! I'd like to pull the cab but I don't have gauges/ recovery unit/ vaccum pump for the A/C, so looks like the tranny is coming out. My question is... What is the best fix for this? Am I to just replace these cracked up-pipes with new up-pipes that are about to crack? Truck only has 36,263 on the clock.(been leaking for 3 or 4,000 miles) What causes these fail anyway? Is there a better solution?
Also, with the tranny out of the way, will there be enough room to get the stock downpipe out and replace with a 4"? And is there anything else I might consider looking at while I'm in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Why not warranty the truck? If you remove the tranny, you can replace the downpipe with the 4" without any cutting.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no warranty. truck was origanally sold to a leasing company as fleet service with no warranty. I am second owner.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send me the VIN number, I will verify your warranty coverage. PM me the VIN, I probably will miss this thread later on.

And yes, what John said -- pull trans.

If the only thing holding you up from pulling the cab is reclaiming the A/C charge, take it to an A/C shop and have them pull it down for you, and when you're all ready to rock, take 'er back and have 'er refilled.

If it's not warranty, I'd slam a wastegate and **** on it while it's apart.

FWIW, you can do that pipe WITHOUT removing the trans, and WITHOUT pulling the cab.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, I've read that the dp will go w/o removing the trans, but just thought it would be even easier with it out. And since it has to come out for the uppies....And you recommend a wastegate? Would the trani have to come down to install that to? I think I saw a thread that said that a wastegate is needed when remove EGR. I definitely want to lose that chit. Damm, this is becoming waaaayyyyy too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.