high temps (trans/oil/coolant) Please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
high temps (trans/oil/coolant) Please help

Ok it has been a while and I did a small search to see if anyone else has experience this problem and all I could find was if they were towing heavy loads or with a tuner.

First off a little background, I am running the spartin dpf delete with the stock tune (yeah long story but a few months back I got away from anything but stock for the work I do and the beating my truck was taking in the sugar sand I am trying to drive in; higher HP more spinning and more sinking in sand plus really doesnt sound good when you let off the throttle and hear the front drive shaft pop/click louder than it should)and an airaid CAI. My truck has 29k with all services completed up to this point.

Now for my issue, I am working in FL currently and the temps are getting in the triple digits and I notices some of my temps are climbing a little bit also, about 4 degrees higher under normal conditions. Well for the last week or so I have noticed while running the interstate (70+ with small hills and no load) my oil temps are staying 206-210, my coolant 200-204, and tranny 185-190. Again this is under no load except for the occasional added boost you get with the TC locked up. Is this normal????? It was not like this last summer in LA but then again we have no hills and I wasn't driving near as much.

Next I have been off the hwy in 4wd and my tranny temps are spiking at 195+, so I have to sit and let them cool down about 1 min to 170 or so and start again. Again the only load I have is the added grab of this sugar sand that is binding my tires. I figure if I stayed into the throttle all temps would rise but I really dont want to push my luck any farther past those number if at all possible.

I have taken and cleaned out all of my front end with a pressure washer to ensure proper airflow but still the same issues. Plus if it was an airflow issue I would think it wouldnt cool down that fast. Am I just being paranoid or is this a issue I need to have checked out? I have to hook up to my trailer in the next couple of weeks (8k) and drag it to the next loop of this project.

Thanks for the info guys and gals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

That doesn't sound TERRIBLY high for your ambient temperature.

I was going to suggest washing your cooling stack, but you've done that already.

Run the truck at 55-60mph and see what the spread between the EOT and the ECT is. If it's more than 8 degrees, you need some thermostats. (Cruise it for a few minutes, don't just run it up to 55-60 and look right then LOL)
Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Angry Hillbilly View Post
That doesn't sound TERRIBLY high for your ambient temperature.

I was going to suggest washing your cooling stack, but you've done that already.

Run the truck at 55-60mph and see what the spread between the EOT and the ECT is. If it's more than 8 degrees, you need some thermostats. (Cruise it for a few minutes, don't just run it up to 55-60 and look right then LOL)
Thanks for the reply and while I understand that doesnt sound to high for the ECT or the EOT it was more my tranny I am more worried about. My temps are normal when driving at 55 and 60, it just appears when it is under any type of load.

As for today while in 4 high I ended up pretty much stuck on the pipeline and within 20 secs of semi hard running in only 80 degree temps and raining my tranny temps spiked to 223 degrees according to my dashdaq. Coolant and oil stayed in the low 200's. Any idea why my tranny temps are spiking like this? It took over 5 min for them to decrease to below 200 this time while sitting at idle in 2' of water!

And yes my truck is a work truck so it does get abused to an extent but I would rather not burn something up either if I can prevent it.

Thanks again for the reply

I know this may sound like me just being paranoid but I really am somewhat worried about a major spike when I start towing again and being stuck on the side of the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.