ANNOUNCEMENT: EGT 13! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ANNOUNCEMENT: EGT 13!

EGT 13, when it's open circuit, the sensor is bad, unplugged, not installed in your delete kit, what have you causes the truck to enter the following strategy:

• PCM Power output limited.
  • A "Pull Over Safely and Shut Vehicle Off" message may display in your instrument cluster.
  • A 1-hour no-crank condition.
If you suspect this is your issue, and you're stranded, try the following.

1. Vehicle in PARK
  2. Parking brake SET
  3. Key in the ON position
  4. Open hood
  5. Near the RH battery, there is a single wire disconnect. It is attached to the battery box. Remove it from the battery box and disconnect it.
  6. Touch the end headed towards the starter to the POSITIVE terminal of the battery.
The truck should start. Reconnect the wire, close the hood, and check for codes. You will likely have a code for EGT-13 open circuit, over temp, out of range.

DISCLAIMER: USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOUR VEHICLE IS INDEED EXPERIENCING AN OVER TEMPERATURE CONDITION THERE IS RISK OF VEHICLE DAMAGE AND POSSIBLE FIRE OR TOTAL LOSS OF VEHICLE. THE AUTHOR OF THIS POST ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED WITHIN. USE THE AFOREMENTIONED INFORMATION PROVIDED AT YOUR OWN RISK TO SELF, VEHICLE, AND PROPERTY.

Hope this is of some help to folks on here. I have seen two or three posts in the last 3 or 4 days regarding this, and helped a stranded member out over the phone with this same problem.

Hope this post is useful to some, if not, most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Which sensor is this in line on the dpf (or delete)? Thanks for the write-up BAH!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The last EGT sensor in the exhaust, right behind where the DPF should be.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Is it the brown wire with the green tracer and some kind of a plastic connector?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:05 PM

This saved me a helluva lotta trouble, tonight..

I got distracted while changing tunes, and installed the dpf on tune w/o the dpf.. whoops.. it was idling, and I could hear the egt cycling.. I got no codes, and no problems while it was idling, but confirmed via the mini maxx I had tuned as if a dpf was present..

After re tuning, it would not crank.. I checked relays and fuses, and re programmed no less than six times.. then I got to thinking about what I had did, and recalled this thread from when I was scouting this joint..

Thank you thank you thank you.. at one point, I was thinking I fried my pcm.. that didn't last long, though, because I realized it was communicating thoroughly during programming.. this little trick saved me a helluva stressful situation..
Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM

does this happen everytime you put a delete kit on or a stright pipe and unplug all the sensor in the pipe? is their a way to avoid it? after you do the delete etc can you wait an hour and it i will start after that? cant you just do the delete and load tunes on all at once then it wont care or does it take an hour after you try to start it
Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 AM

make sure and tune it first- then do the physical deletes..

if the egr and the sensors in the DPF don't register on the OE tune, or the tune you've loaded, you'll get the lock out- and if you run it deleted with tunes looking for those sensors, it will pull one of those 'stop safely' messages on your info center, and kill the engine on it's own accord..

oh.. if you're using H&S, only the HD300 tunes will work with the EGR gone..
Old 07-19-2013, 09:24 AM

so if your using a delete tune and all the sensors deleted aka the system isnt looking for the sensors your good?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 AM

bingo...

if you're using a tuner that ignores them, you're good.. if you're using a tuner that requires them to be absent, you're good.. if you're mixing the two schools of though, you're not good..

H&S ignores the exhaust sensors.. it ignores the EGR while using the hd300 family.. I think it's SCT that requires the sensor to still be present (exhaust bungs in exhaust with a sensor present)..
Old 08-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm new to the 6.4 world (previously a 6.0 owner). I unplugged all the sensors and the truck fired up and ran just fine (had to move to a different shop in order to attempt straight pipe install). After moving, I went to start the truck and everything came on but no click/turn over/nothing. I bought an SCT and an exhaust without bungs (which is yet to be installed), from want I understand I have to have sensors plugged in for the engine to run. So my question is, why would the truck run fine and then all of a sudden not fire? FYI this thread saved my a** this evening, thanks a million for the info!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.