Fuel sysem replacement / ford voided warranty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel sysem replacement / ford voided warranty

I have an 08 with the 6.4. I took it to the dealer for a tapping sound in the engine and engine light on. The dealer called the ford hotline after finding my oil had at least 8 extra quarts of diesel fuel in it. I had 5000 miles on my oil change. My fuel system is trashed and my engine still runs but has some damage as well. The ford rep said since I did not replace my fuel filter at 12,000 miles my engine warranty is void. I have 25,600 miles on my truck. I had my truck at the dealer at 15,500 miles for a quick in and out for a check engine light and they never said anything about needing fuel filters. My manual says 20,000 intervals for normal driving but since I said I towed my boat 1 time, that put me in the severe service bracket. My oil change place replaces fuel filters as well but they never said anything about it either. I had no idea this kind of damage could occur if the fuel filters did not get changed. I would have changed them every time i had my oil changed if anyone, including ford, had told me. Oh, and by the way, if you do not drain your filters for water every month, it voids your warranty as well. That is from Ford. In fact, I read a Ford service paper for this issue and it says that almost every fuel system problem is not covered by the warranty and if it causes fuel to enter the engine, it voids the entire engine warranty. The fact of the matter is that a lot of people are having this problem and Ford does not stand by their product. I am just beginning the process of fileing formal complaints with my state, the BBB, Ford, and looking for an attorney. I cannot believe nobody has filed a class action lawsuit against Ford for the 6.4 diesel engine fuel system. The dealer wants $18,500 for engine replacement or $9,500 for fuel system replacement without fixing ping sound in engine. Other than that, the truck was awsome and loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 AM

I'm not sure how a restricted fuel filter would contribute to diesel fuel in the oil. Sounds like a stuck fuel injector to me. Ford is doing everything possible to hide from the 6.4's. FYI, I had to tell my dealer to change the fuel filter even though they were doing all the services. I honestly can't believe a classaction lawsuit has not been filed either. It's shameless to not stand up for this stuff. Even an idiot should not be able to kill a diesel in less than 100,000 miles. It's hard to believe that some called a "Super Duty" is easier to blow up than a Kia. I've totally learned to take nothing for granted with my 6.4. It is not a handsoff vehicle. This is the crap my grandfather told me they went through back in the 30's. Most people have been spoiled over the last 20 years just driving stuff and getting by with it. That does not work on this truck. It's almost like the crap I go through before I fly one of my old jets each time. And that's to stay alive. Ford needs a spanking. Diesel fuel is too inconsistent. Station to station is different. The 6.4 is picky as hell. It's so easy to jam up an injector because it has gotten so precise. The fuel system is so precise that crappy diesel flips it out. In ways I feel sorry for Ford given the emission requirements and crazy diesel in tanks out there. These things are too precise to get along with fuel from Goober's station. It's a crap shoot each time you fill up.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Captain Kirk, This is pretty much exactly what I'm going through w/ford (fuel filter not changed-but have records it was-lead to blown motor). Where are you located?
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM

Ford did a lot of road testing on the 6.4 before turning them lose on the public. They were trying to fix all the 6.0 issues. And in a perfect world, I believe the 6.4 is a very well designed truck. The problem is that diesel is no where near as consistent as gasoline. You can bet Ford was putting perfect diesel in those 6.4's they were testing before production. There is a lot of crappy diesel out there. It is not refined to the extent that gasoline is. God knows what comes out of the pump each time you fill the tank. And there in lies the problem. Ford built a vehicle that demands perfect fuel or crap happens. Unfortunately, lots of diesel fuel does not fit the design demands. Ford sold a very finicky vehicle to the general public and the fuel is not consistent enough to keep it happy. I'd say this is Ford's fault for not treating the test trucks like the end user would. And now we are all exposed to it. I bet the fuel system is less finicky in the 6.7. Ford no doubt had high level meetings on the 6.4's after the **** hit the fan. Ford needs to man-up and stand behind us fools that bought the 6.4's. I believe my 6.4 should last a half million miles like my 6.9 did. If I was smart enough to keep it running that long then I don't deserve a 50,000 mile failure. My 6.9 drank some crappy diesel in it's lifetime and survived.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a chevron card and burn only chevron diesel in the truck. Ford know's this problem exists and should be getting out in front of it. they should be sending out letters to all the owners letting them know they must change fuel filters every 12,000 miles (or by engine hours). Their official posisition is that almost all fuel related problems are not covered by the warranty and that includes bad fuel and water. here is what happened to my truck as it was explained to me. when the fuel filters get plugged it starves the high pressure fuel pump which causes it to overheat and start sending tiny pieces of metal into the fuel system which causes an injector to stay open and constantly flood fuel into the piston which blows past it and into the crank case. my owners manual says if fuel filter gets plugged i will experience a performance loss. i never experienced any loss in power or any other indication my fuel filters were in need of a change. it does not say my high pressure fuel pump will fail and cause fatal engine damage. if the hpfp does not fail there is no problem. it's a bad pump. that is my beef with ford. i know there are many of us out there and i am fighting this to the end. i am located in the Modesto, CA area.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-10-03.php

Last edited by Captain Kirk; 06-25-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:04 PM

The explanation makes sense. But why did Ford design a high pressure pump that could introduce metal into the fuel system so easily? And why didn't Ford school you on this at your last service? I sure like the good old days better. The old 6.9 and 7.3's would just lose power till you put a new filter on. This high pressure pump is a whole new game. Ford needs to come up with a better system than this. $20,000+ dollar failures should not occur from a fuel filter that missed a change interval. The fuel system in the 6.4 is poorly thought out and Ford is trying their best not to foot the bill.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

called ford. they said they would have a customer service supervisor call me back. i told them that if they do not warranty my vehicle it is going to ruin their reputation. i deal with most of California's largest construction companies who drive ford vehicles in their fleet and word had gotten around of what ford is doing to me. they are all calling me to see how this works out. if ford does not fix my problem they are going to loose thousands of sales in my area, i will send my story to the media call into radio programs, and i will find everyone else who ford is doing this to and file a class action lawsuit. They are doing this to thousands of people. why is Ford going crazy with voiding warranties? they act like they are going out of business and don't want loyal customers anymore. FIX OUR TRUCKS!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:10 PM

I see both sides of this owning a manufacturing company myself. Ford really did try hard to make the 6.4 good. The problem is lots of truck owners expect these things to be idiot proof. Most stuff in our lives is now days. Gasoline cars and trucks almost all have neglected fuel filters. It's way common to see filters pushed way past 50,000 miles. And the electric pumps in the tank don't like it. They run hotter from all the resistence of the blocked filter. It ends up killing off the pump early. You drop the tank and put a new one in. The person hands you $400 and learns to change the filter every 30000 miles. $400 dollars is a lot easier lesson than $20,000+. Ford needed to engineer the fuel system to have less expensive failures. Maybe an electric pump instead of one driven off the engine? I don't know. My Jet Provost uses a Rolls Royce Viper in it. The high pressure pump is driven off an accessory box. It can't unload into the engine. Fuel nozzles are enormous in it and I don't think a pump failure could plug it. The fuel nozzles are changed every 250 hours just to make sure the spray pattern is good. A bad pattern leads to a flame out and air restarts are far from a sure thing. I guess my point is that a 6.4 should not have to be watched so closely. New **** should have evolved past this point!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM

This is a way to fix it yourself, but Ford should retrofit this to all our truck at their expense.

AirDog - Diesel Fuel Air Separation and Filtration System For Diesel Engines, Raptor Fuel Pumps, Pureflow
Old 06-25-2010, 04:00 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I grew up in a Ford family, owned nothing but Fords, my father has worked for a Ford Dealer for 40 years. My children came home from Hospitals in them, they protected my family through snow, crashes, hurricanes, and helped build my yard. I have been under many, pulled my camper with them, responded to a rural hospital with a dying child in one. I swear this, I wll never buy another unless they buck up and stop this nonsense. I have read enough to know that Ford has a problem and they are being cowards about it. I will NEVER buy a GM or Chrysler do to the Fed Govt bailouts. I will only ever own a diesel again if Toyota decides to make one. That is of course unless Ford mans up and stands behind us and their products.

Mike Engels
Easton, MD
Ridden in Fords for 33 years, owned them for 17.

Last edited by Greenshield; 06-25-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.